Store bought rubs...how salty?

MJ_Tenn

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I usually make my own rub and am reading about how good "Plowboys" rubs are...when I use my homemade rubs, I totally cover the meat, every crack and crevice. When using a rub such as Plowboys, is it good to totally cover the meat or is it more of a seasoning that should be sprinkled on?

It's all personal preference.
I don't use much salt normally so I sometimes find Yardbird a little salty - but for the most part I only use it on things I would use salt on.. chicken, eggs, potatoes, popcorn.
I typically go easy on any rub I use - just enough to cover the meat, let it sweat out a little, then a little more before it hits the pit.

If you don't like salt and the first ingredient is salt than it has a bunch of salt. The ingredient label goes by the amount inside.

I personally find Plowboys to be too salty for my taste, but that said TONS of people love it. It is all personal preference. Try a little first and then next but add some more, or cut the butt in half and do a sprinkle on one and coat the other. Cook and compare

I usually make my own rub and am reading about how good "Plowboys" rubs are...when I use my homemade rubs, I totally cover the meat, every crack and crevice. When using a rub such as Plowboys, is it good to totally cover the meat or is it more of a seasoning that should be sprinkled on?

I too, like to dredge or heavily coat my meats including ribs with the rub.

However I too find that the use of "Plowboys" is much too salty for my personal tastes. I am not saying it is a bad rub, just that it is too salty for the tastes of myself and the people I cook for.

You might try Simply Marvelous Rubs or OakRidge Rubs, Both sold by Big Poppa Smokers

If I use a commercially prepared rub/spice mix that has salt I cut it by about 40 to 60 % with dry spices that have no salt. I typically used dried onion, ginger and garlic. There is one made by a brother that has no added salt -- it has dirt in the name I think. Deguerre would know which one it is.

Edit: Todds Dirt -- if you search with that you'll find threads and postings about it.

Last edited:
Plowboys Yardbird is salty. On pork butts it is ok to coat it liberally as the huge piece of meat can handle the high salt content. You don't want to liberally coat ribs or chicken in the yardbird or they will be rendered inedible because they are so salty. Now if you use it moderately to sparingly on ribs/chicken it is fantastic.

For chicken plowboys can be a little salty but we just give it a lighter coat. For pork butt we put on pretty heavy and it has come out good.

If your putting on more that you would use salt & pepper at the table your using to much. I'ts about the meat not the stuff in the bottle. Might just as will dump it in a bowl and break out a spoon... Oh and don't forget to make it in to a paste with a bottle of Sauce. Mmmm.:tsk:

Less is more:wink::thumb:

Back