Seperating Brisket

A few years ago there was a big stink about holding containers... I know this subject was brought up. It was illegal then, so unless they have changed their stance and I missed it, you can't do that to pork. But it would be legal to do it to a point from a brisket, just because it doesn't have that "parting" rule...

I think you guys are making this rule grey, when it shouldn't be. As drbbq said, the intent of the rule should be followed. It would sure s*ck if we had to police each other!!! I know I would not enjoy having to turn in someone for doing this...

If you cut the money muscle off and cooler the entire roast and decide to put the rest of the butt in to "re-heat" for 5 more hours... Is that legal? No it's not, so why would it be legal to slice, then re-heat?

Re heating is not cooking, putting something back on to achieve a certain internal temp is. Setting the sauce or what ever else people do to their meat after they have pulled it should be legal in my opinion.

I find it strange that we can slice a brisket and reheat it yet not a pork butt. As was already stated just using hot sauce could be considered cooking.

I know it would be hard for a rep to come in here and interpet the rule but I find it strange that warming or setting the sauce would be illegal but I can also see how some would consider it cooking.

Someone said that when different techniques become popular that problems may arise in the wording of a rule. I don't know if thats the case but it could be. I just want to make sure I don't cheat....nothing i hate more then liars and cheats.

You guys are missing the rule... This is specific for PORK!!!! If you do it, don't be surprised when someone turns you in to the reps...

I know that it is specifically for pork..... If someone turns a team in for this it would be very ratty and childish. The rule is not clear so it would not be cheating it would be my interpretation of the rule.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be​
parted.

That is very unclear imo.

I know that it is specifically for pork..... If someone turns a team in for this it would be very ratty and childish. The rule is not clear so it would not be cheating it would be my interpretation of the rule.

Childish? I don't find namecalling terribly mature, nor saying that your "interpretation" should take precedence over the intent of the rule.

A lot of people would like to think that their rationalization is not cheating.
A lot more have no problem whatsoever following the rules and their intent.

Intent of the rule as per who? You? read the rule as it's written. You have your interp and I have mine. Call me what you want. Looks like I struck close to home!!! The KCBS better take back a lot of trophies over this one.

Intent of the rule as per who? You? read the rule as it's written. You have your interp and I have mine. Call me what you want. Looks like I struck close to home!!! The KCBS better take back a lot of trophies over this one.
Saying your intent is to subvert the rules with your "interpretation" is going to strike close to home with any team who competes with integrity.

Regardless of whether you agree with the rule or not, there are enough experienced folks here giving you the generally accepted interpretation. Further, it has been proven by many members here that you need not violate that interpretation to win the pork category at a contest. I personally think the way we apply the parting rule is silly but even if it was changed, I wouldn't prepare my pork entry any differently.

Saying your intent is to subvert the rules with your "interpretation" is going to strike close to home with any team who competes with integrity.

Read the rule I didn't write it. You are arguing your interp of the rule is correct and I understand. I am not going to argue or question your integrity, please do not question mine. I am very honest and do not cheat or personally care what you think. Thanks for your opinions, they are like a holes everyone has one!!!!!!

Re heating is not cooking, putting something back on to achieve a certain internal temp is. Setting the sauce or what ever else people do to their meat after they have pulled it should be legal in my opinion.

Reading that final sentence, I'm having a hard time understanding how that isn't some form of cooking.

PORK: Pork is defined as Boston Butt, Picnic and/or
Whole Shoulder, weighing a minimum of five (5) pounds.
Pork shall be cooked (bone in or bone out) and shall not be parted.

Not trying to pick a fight, but finding it hard to see what is hard to interpret here, or unclear.

You need to have some portion of the whole shoulder. The whole thing, butt, or picnic, that weighs over 5 pounds. It has to be cooked as a single piece (not parted). That means whether you start with a picnic, butt or shoulder, you must cook that piece whole from start to finish.

I have heard of folks sort of butterflying the money muscle to allow it to form a bark all around, and as long as it remains a single piece of meat, that seems to keep to the rule. But if you separate it into more than one piece, it's parted. What's unclear about that?

Also, what is all this talk about warming up? Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that having your meat cooked on time was part of the challenge. Pork pieces will keep at temp for hours coolered anyway, so what reason is there to reheat? My butts are usually done between 9 and 11 AM and stay piping hot in a cooler or cambro (we use Carlisles) for hours after turn-in.

Seems like this rule is crystal clear. What part of it is hard to understand? If I'm "setting my sauce, it's likely on ribs not butt, as I don't sauce butt, or if I do it's after it's pulled. If it's on the ribs, I'm not removing them from the cooker, just removing the lid.

IMHO - If you aren't following the rules, you're breaking them

Back to Brisket.

We separate our before slicing the point, but after it's cooked. Seems a lot easier to do it then than when it's still raw. No parting rule on briskie!

Got an idea about setting the sauce. Take a raw piece of pork and coat it in BBQ sauce, put it on the smoke for 15 minutes to reheat and set the sauce. Remove it and eat it. You tell me if thats cooking!!

Got an idea about setting the sauce. Take a raw piece of pork and coat it in BBQ sauce, put it on the smoke for 15 minutes to reheat and set the sauce. Remove it and eat it. You tell me if thats cooking!!

If it isn't cooking, why are you returning the meat AND sauce to the cooker? Why can't the sauce be added on the cutting board?

I like to get the sauce hot and let gravity take it course directly on the piece of meat in the smoker to get everything hot as one.

I just think this might not be widely understood.

As careful as I am pulling my pork it allways looses heat (I don't fit in the Cambro :-D).

Brisket: Separate after cooking...

Last edited:
Back