Sharpening a 14" Slicing Knife

Greg60525

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have a 14" Dexter-Russell Duo-Edge slicer (Granton edge type) and I was wondering what is the best method and tool to sharpen this knife.

I've practiced on smaller knives using a soft Arkansas stone, but I'm not very good at it..........I can get a better, but not good enough finish using a Cutco manual pull through type of sharpener.

Is the Chef's Choice model 130 electric sharpener good for this knife?

Thanks,

I would have it professionaly sharpened. Use a honing steel periodically to keep it sharp between sharpenings.

I would have it professionaly sharpened. Use a honing steel periodically to keep it sharp between sharpenings.

That's what I do. About once a year or so, and hit the steel after each use. After 4 comps of cutting brisket and ribs with my slicer, it still doesn't need the steel.

This is what I use

JIFF_S.jpg

I also have stones that I use when I'm bored. This leaves a really good edge that last for months. My Henckels knifes go to a pro, but the rest of them get the smiths treatment.

Is the Chef's Choice model 130 electric sharpener good for this knife?

Thanks,

I got that sharpener for chirstmas and love it. I have a Forschner slicer that I have sharpened with it and it worked fine. I'm sure a pro could do a better job but I am happy with the results.

Concur with eagle and thillin here. My good knives, especially the long ones, go to a pro once a year, and always get steeled after use.

Having said that, I have a Chef's Choice, and like it a lot. I use it mostly for misc. knives around the house, and to sharpen knives for friends and family. It seems like no one in my family is willing or able to maintain the edges on their knives, so I make the rounds from time to time.

ready for a shocker????

There is a "professional" that comes to the hospital to sharpen all kinds of stuff. I stopped in one day to just feel him out and see what he would recommend to sharpen my knives. I explained to him the types that I had....

Was I shocked when he told me to buy an inexpesive 1" wide belt sander and use a fine grit belt. :eek: He took my Old Timer pocket knife and put an edge on it that wouldn't quit. Use the belt sander, by hand, and then used a buffing type wheel to take the "burrs" off. The sharpest knife I have ever seen...... He told me to bring a couple in and he would touch them up for me.... can't pass up that offer.

So, I have been looking on Craigslist for a belt sander... so far haven't found one, but one day I will unless I just break down and buy a new one.

Back