• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Piggy Processing Pron...........(GRAPHIC)

BobBrisket

Reaction score
Well, here it goes. I learned a lot from my dad and just as much from my grandfather. My grandfather grew up in a time when growing your own food in the ground and raising your own animals was part of the normal, everyday plan. My dad tells me stories about the chores that him and his brother had before they left for school every day. Collecting eggs, feeding goats, sheep, ducks, chickens, pigs, etc, changing their drinking water and cleaning up after them. And on certain days, killing a chicken or two for my grandmother and leaving the birds on the back porch for her to remove the feathers and prepare for dinner that evening.
My grandfather took great pride in raising beautiful, and healthy animals......these in turn would end up feeding his family of 3 boys and 3 girls.
Much later on, I remember going out with him to cut fresh, wild long grass from the irrigation canals to feed the animals and we'd always make a stop at the wild asparagus patch that grew alongside the canal. (It's still there by the way, and I pass their old house everyday on the way to work. Brings back some memories.) We'd come home with a 5 gallon bucket full of wild asparagus.
My dad continued the tradition my grandfather had instilled in me. To this day, my dad still has chickens and we had our share of sheep, goats, rabbits, ducks and they all made it to the dinner table!
A few years ago, my dad went got into a little side business with a friend of his. They purchased some pigs and let them do what pigs do best.............multiply. They "leased" the land from an old cowboy(Vaquero), Don Luis. He let them keep the pigs on his property, and from time to time he would have his pick of the new piglets and as they got older he'd get to fill up his freezer in exchange for letting them use his land. He had close to 3 acres of land.
Things feel apart at the end due to lost jobs, but those 3 years were great. Seems we were out there every other weekend harvesting an animal, or selling some off, or just out there feeding and tending to them. It made for some great memories with my dad.
This wasn't intended to be a how to thread, but just a collection of pics that I though you all might enjoy. I'll just post them along with a few comments here and there. Hope you enjoy them.

These are some pics of the last pig party we had at my folks house. The pics are not in any order.

3302899258_88df6bb853_o.jpg

Breakfast before the work begins. Can you spot Miss Piggy!! We got her all tucked in. Below the water is boiling in the half drum. Well pour it on the skin to aid in removing the hair and getting it shaved down as well as cleaning it.

3302071671_fc82e7fde1_o.jpg

3302071679_377a892407_o.jpg

Cutting the skin for chicharrones.
My folks always get their mail on time. Can you see the sauce stains on his shirt?
3302071689_b4ec0f35b2_o.jpg

The chicharonnes early on. All that's in there is one gallon of salt water and all their fatty goodness.
3302071695_cd0849e99a_o.jpg

Assembly line. Seems like Miss Piggy lost her head.
3302071697_03e8281ce7_o.jpg

Here are some carnitas. Mostly the odd bits and pieces from the process that got tossed in the lard left over from the chicharrones.
3302057071_71dc7b46bf_o.jpg

My dad smoked up both slabs of ribs. Dang, they were good!

3302057061_581fb56a34_o.jpg

My favorite pic. Dad and the feast!!
3302057057_8f6f45422d_o.jpg

3302057055_e87551da2d_o.jpg

3302057047_635af198d7_o.jpg

I just love to stir the pot!!
3302052057_d670c7df37_o.jpg

3302052053_318f931031_o.jpg

I'm adding more pics. This is the first batch o pron.

Here are some from Don Luis' place. His son owns a steel door business...........the old doors make for good building and fencing material.
Here's the original male they purchased. While he was quite the ladies man and knew how to do the deed, we later found out he was given a vasectomy and could seal any deals with the ladies. The guys from the original farm didn't want him back, so they sent another male to take over his duties. This guy ended up getting a full on castration and was fattened up even more for a few months and then was sold. It took about 10 guys to pull his carcass up a wooden ramp and onto a truck when he was sold. He was freaking huge!!
3302063349_0ee1226a64_o.jpg

The smallest of the females was the best producer and the best mother. A tender moment.....ahhhh!
3302063341_f746795b91_o.jpg

This was the new male that took over the stud duties. Quite the handsome farker, no!
3302052037_1c451f42f4_o.jpg

Future smoker meat........
3302044809_b863215345_o.jpg

Gotta start the day with breakfast. Plow discs are very versatile. Scrammbled eggs and chorizo.
3302052043_ee6519bdb3_o.jpg

3302063357_f086e65a17_o.jpg

The larger sections waiting to get cut up into smaller portions.
A hind leg I brought home for the freezer. It ended up in tamales, I believe.
3302899242_79e75542cb_o.jpg

A whole rack..........
3302063377_acc74af76a_o.jpg

Another batch of chicharonnes
3302057081_14ea3144fe_o.jpg

More lardy, greasy, goodness.
3302044801_a0c5c89b90_o.jpg

The final crispy, crunchy, treats.........
3302044795_1066a0a836_o.jpg

Here are some pics from a pig party at my Inlaws...........
3302899252_2e1fa40886_o.jpg

Boiling the water....
3302899254_cd5153dd03_o.jpg

Early on.
3302899250_e2d6a7e785_o.jpg

Pretty much done. My good buddy, Cooper. His grandfather owned a hog farm in NC when he was a kid. He made it look easy.
3302052047_5636dc8b0d_o.jpg

Skins waiting for their time in the UDF.........Ugly Drum Fryer.
3302044821_cac60882d4_o.jpg

Some carnita appetizers.

Enjoy!!

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that! The food looked awesome, but the family and friends all working together like that struck me as even better. Thanks for taking all the time and trouble to post the pictures with explanations.

Absolutely wonderful post, not near graphic enough.:eek: I really enjoyed this. Reminds me of my youth when the whole family would get together during hog killing time. We all worked together to get the job done, right down to all us little ones. Thank you brother for reminding me of some happy times. :cool: Makes me want to go out and get some fresh hog to process.:wink:

Jeez that all looks good! And nice to see pigs raised the way they should be.
Two questions:
1) Please educate an ignorant Englishman, what are chicharrones please?
2) I love the wine bottle-lamps hanging around the edge of the roof in the first picture, can you tell me how the bottoms are cut off please? I'd like to make some and have tried in the past using a hacksaw with a ceramic tile-cutting blade and the bottles always crack:frown:

Very cool Bob! Thanks for sharing!

You guy's ever do that in the snow? :roll:

Please please please can I have an invite when I get back home?

That looks like a fantastic time, damn I miss home.

Those pics were very cool and it was apparent from the sight of everyone working together those were times that created family bonding moments..thanks for sharing the memories with your brothers here Bob.

Not to steal Bob's thunder, but I thought this piece written by my dad, who was born in 1911 in rural Texas, might add a little to this great thread.

"There was no R.E.A. then, therefore no electricity, hence no refrigeration. This had a tremendous effect on how people ate. What was cooked for the noon meal couldn't be served for the evening meal in hot weather, because it would sour and also food poisoning was a great danger. What food that was left at noon was thrown in the slop bucket for the hogs. In this manner, the food that would have spoiled was, in effect, recycled by the pigs who furnished pork to be eaten in the fall.

There being no refrigeration, the hog butchering took place in the fall on a day cold enough to chill the meat all the way thru, but not cold enough to freeze the outside, thus trapping the body heat inside. The hog that had lived on swill all his life had been switched to corn a month or so before butchering. Nobody had ever head about cholesterol, so the fatter the hog, the better.

A fire was built under a pot, which measured around 4' x 6' x 2' and the water brought to about 180 degrees F. The hog was walked to near the vat where he was hit between the eyes with a heavy hammer and his throat was cut with a large keen butcher knife to drain the carcass of its blood. He was then rolled into the vat and submerged in the hot water to loosen the hair, after which everyone pitched in to scraping all the hair off with a relatively dull knife.

When the pig was cleaned of hair, a slip was cut on the back legs just above the feet so that a sharp piece of wood could be stuck behind the Achilles tendon. A block and tackle was hooked in the middle of the wood and the pig was housted high enough for his head to clear the ground. Using a sharp knife, a slip was made from between the hind legs to the jowl and the pig was de-boweled. The liver and heart were pulled out and sent to the house to be cooked for lunch. This was the first meat of any kind to be eaten since the winter before, except for chicken and very salty "fillet of sows bosom". The next treat was back bone and loin. There will never be food as good as this was. There is an old saying "Hunger is the best tonic for an appetizer".

All the fat was stripped from the intestines to be made into lard, and the intestines turned inside out and stripped and cleaned to be used as sausage casing. From the pig there were sausage, salted bacon or "middling meat", ham and shoulders, also spare ribs, lard and lye soap. The scraps of fat were thrown into a large black kettle in the back yard with a small fire under it. The fat was slowly boiled from the tissue and strained in a pure liquid form into buckets where it set as solid white lard. The pieces of tissue that were left were called cracklings. One of the dietary treats of the year was created by mixing cracklings with cornbread to make "crackling bread". Of course the taste buds were not jaded by cookies, ice cream cones, Baby Ruth bars, banana splits, etc., so any variation from every day diet was a treat. This all furnished the last of the meat, meal and molasses diet."

Last edited:
Back