Weber lids don't fit most drums. There is a kingsford 22.5 grill that fits better. Groceries stores of sometimes Lowes or CVS has them .

Weber lids don't fit most drums. There is a kingsford 22.5 grill that fits better. Groceries stores of sometimes Lowes or CVS has them .

:confused::confused::confused: Norco, my brethren... maybe a geographic difference but a lot of the drums here are taylor made for the weber lids. Many around here are livestock supplements. We both know drums are different and I take my weber lid with me when looking to buy a drum. Always respect you comments!!

I got 4 drums here, the lids falls into each, actually the entire kettle will fit in it with out the handles...taking a lid with you when you look for drums is a good idea!!

:confused::confused::confused: Norco, my brethren... maybe a geographic difference but a lot of the drums here are taylor made for the weber lids. Many around here are livestock supplements. We both know drums are different and I take my weber lid with me when looking to buy a drum. Always respect you comments!!
Wish they were like that here. I know Swampb cuts the top off a kettle to get them to fit. Maybe they swell west of the Rockies!

You must be at work Norco! I'm going to Hesperia this weekend if you're off, can come along.

The place I get my drums has a tool that will roll the edge and bend it in for you if that is what you need. Must be different sizes for different purposes. If anybody needs drums ever gets around San Antonio, bring a trailer. This guy says he has about 10,000 in different sizes, shapes, and materials. I would have guessed more, looking at the place. They will cut them, drill them, roll the tops, anything you need done. They have some 500 gallon plastic ones that I am thinking about trying to convince my 3 year old is a swimming pool....

22 inch grate

okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....

okay...........only up to page 53 of this long thread, but thought i would jump to the end, and ask this question.......

My drum is only 22 1/4 inside dia., so the weber grate won't werk........does anyone know where i can find a 22 inch grate?

TIA.....
Check off brands. I got 22" grates at Rural King here in Mattoon. They don't flip up like the webers do, but they were only $10 each.

TIA.....

Have you tried putting the grate in the drum to see if it will fit? The reason I ask is even though the grate is for a 22 1/2 in grill it isn't actually 22 1/2 inches. I just went out and measured. My drum is 22 1/4 inches like yours but the Weber grate only measures
21 1/2 inches so it should fit. Maybe I jipped on an inch on my grate and everyone else's is bigger. This is a replacement 22.5" grate from weber so maybe the ones that come with a kettle grill are actually 22.5" but this one fits fine.

A Weber grate should work; should be 21 1/2" in diameter. My Weber replacement grate is 21 1/12" and fits in my 22 1/2 outside diameter barrel.

thankx guys...........will take my tape measure to Home dePOT tomorrow and check...........while i price the other parts

TIA.....

Keep on reading........

WOW!!! I did it! I made it all the way through this entire thread. I found my drums locally for $30 and have been cleaned, burned and ball bearing blasted. I will be building my first UDS as soon as I get back from Cali next week!!

I wish I would have made notes as I went seeing how I will have to wade back through to gather my ideas.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread!!

Drum Smoker:

I got my drum smoker completed and did a second test run today. Temps have held between 200 and 235 for the last 12 hours. Couldn't ask for better temps.
I put in three 3/4 intake vents in the bottom using ball valves on two opposing holes.
Only using the 2 inch and 3/4 inch exhaust holes in the orginal drum top.
My charcoal ring is six inches high and thirteen inches in diameter and holds approximately twelve pounds of briqs and it probably will burn 15 to 16 hours total which is far more than needed.
All I'm waiting on is some much needed rain so I can do my burn out. We haven't had rain in months and we are under a NO BURN ban here in Western NC.

Thanks to all you guys for all the info that was posted on this topic.

I can to cut the lid off my drum as it was a little too big to fit the kettle lid. I ground down the lip with an angle grinder, then a belt sander and finally a little hand sanding. Worked great.

Back