• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Judge these ribs for Appearance

River City Smokehouse

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Judges and Competitors- What would you score these ribs for appearance?
CapitalCityCookOff2007019a.jpg

CapitalCityCookOff2007020a.jpg

The angle isn't great... and too much reflection. I also don't really like sauce on the bones. However, those look fantastic, and you didn't sauce the cut side of the meat.. I'd give it a 9 from what I can see.

8 - The second pic looks like it has brush streaks. Other than that, they look perfect.

The pics are not showing enough to really judge, but if I had to guess I'd say they would score very high.

Part of my criteria for a 9 is wanting to immediately eat one of them... and I do!!!

The far right rib in the top pic is a little funky on the bone end. Everything else looks real uniform.

I like that you didn't sauce the edges of the ribs. The cut looks real clean, too.

The far right rib in the top pic is a little funky on the bone end. Everything else looks real uniform.

I like that you didn't sauce the edges of the ribs. The cut looks real clean, too.
You're right. I didn't notice it til now. I had 1 hour of sleep in a 48 hour period before the contest so I was overlooking a lot of things.

Your pics are Bad not very flattering for your ribs
They look Musshy from here.. I would give them a 7
maybe an 8 if I saw them in person.. Brush marks could
get you into trouble.. Marking.. Look for my ribs they will
have brush marks..

brush marks aren't marking... anyone could leave brush marks. Brush marks that spell something, that's marking.

A better picture from farther away would help to see but, the 8 flat ribs look good and uniform. I would probably score down on the loose rib on its side. It takes away from the uniformity of the box. I like to see everything uniform and even.
The ribs themselves look very good, and have great color.

brush marks aren't marking... anyone could leave brush marks. Brush marks that spell something, that's marking.

Agreed, not marking but ....

I score these a 7 from what I see, largely do to the "silicon brush ridges."

DISCLAIMER: No judge here - just a guy.

I have to agree with Curt. I've not been to a contest where they would consider brush marks marking. Pooling sauce in a pattern, Brushing on a letter/number/symbol - something that could be pointed to specifically. A generic brush mark is typically not taboo. I would think you wouldn't want to have one, but if your sauce tacked up to fast, etc. it is still "non-discript", and would not be considered marking.

Your pics are Bad not very flattering for your ribs
They look Musshy from here.. I would give them a 7
maybe an 8 if I saw them in person.. Brush marks could
get you into trouble.. Marking.. Look for my ribs they will
have brush marks..

Agreed, not marking but ....

I score these a 7 from what I see, largely do to the "silicon brush ridges."

DISCLAIMER: No judge here - just a guy.

Yup! First time I used silicone brushes was on this. May be the last too!

I thought I had a better pic at the over the top angle but I guess my phartographer didn't do one of those for me.

Wish I would have seen ribs that looked this good while judging yesterday. Sure could use some of them right now!!!!!

They look very good, I would give them an 8, possibly a 9 if I could see them from a different angle. How were the tenderness scores?

I am a CBJ...

I would give them an 8. The reason not a 9, I do not like to see ribs on top of each other, I also think six is enough, if you want to send in more for table capatins and reps and vol...do it in a seperate box. I want to see the whole piece of chicken, our in this case the whole rib. It maybe an Ahole attitude but you are gonna get judges like me when you compete.

BTW...what scores did they get?

I would give them an 8. The reason not a 9, I do not like to see ribs on top of each other, I also think six is enough, if you want to send in more for table capatins and reps and vol...do it in a seperate box. I want to see the whole piece of chicken, our in this case the whole rib. It maybe an Ahole attitude but you are gonna get judges like me when you compete.

HUH--say what?

I gotta think about all you have written and put it together with the instructions I have received as a KCBS and FBA Judge.

Big disconnect here!

Be back later, or maybe tomorrow.

TIM

This surprises me. Too many pieces get a mark down? Yikes.

I 'sort of' understand the layering issue, you may be hiding burnt tips etc . but still.....

Yup! First time I used silicone brushes was on this. May be the last too!

I thought I had a better pic at the over the top angle but I guess my phartographer didn't do one of those for me.

Been there, done that. We went back and smoothed the ridges manually after this happened. I will not use silicon brushes anymore.

Back