My first Beef Ribs in the morning...

gotribe28

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
20130722_181843.jpg

So I got 2 racks of these today, I have peeled the membrane which was so much easier then pork ribs I was pleasantly surprised...

I oiled and rubbed them with Famous Daves Rib Rub and wrapped them, into the fridge for a little sleepy time...

20130722_223018.jpg

20130722_223646.jpg

Any last minute advice for me I am going to try and keep Brutus around 275...

Cook them long enough to render the fat. The bend test may not work, so the toothpick test will be your friend. When it slides in easily, you are good to go. Rest them for at least 15 to 20 minutes.

I tend to cook them like a brisket - don't take them off to early. Landarc hit the key - probe tender with a toothpick (I use small bamboo skewers just cause I have about a billion of them). Best of luck, let us know how the turn out.

No need to wrap unless you want fall of the bone.

Great looking meat you found.

Why do you wrap at that stage? They look pretty lightly colored and just barely starting to cook to me.

Looking good. I have never had beef ribs. Maybe i'll have to try them soon.

So they are done.... fall off the bone, probably should have pulled them 30 minutes sooner but I would rather them be like this then tough.

I let them rest and this is what it produced!!!!!
20130723_154434.jpg

Now my question is this I have this really thick connective tissue and on the back side and I am perplexed especially since I pulled the membrane off, maybe some one can tell me why? and can you do anything about it

20130723_154716.jpg

What do I do about the huge fat tendon on the back side of the meat or is this normal with beef ribs?

Man looks like you nailed them!:clap2:

They look to be VERY meaty, more so than others I have seen...
Not sure what to tell you about the tissue but an expert will chime. Was it hiding under a thin layer of meat? Does it cover the entire back of the ribs or just one small area?

:hungry:

Look good! I just passed up the exact ribs at the store. Was wondering how they would turn out, but couldn't spend the money. (Although they were the best price I've seen around). Got 1/4 cow coming to our freezer soon so buying beef is a bit wasteful.

It covers the entire back, and there was not much meat two adults went through 2 racks easily...

It covers the entire back, and there was not much meat two adults went through 2 racks easily...

Thanks for the info. It's one of the most frustrating things as I learn more about meat. Choosing quality cuts while balancing cost. Sometimes you're pleasantly surprised and sometimes totally fooled and dissapointed.

There isn't much meat because they make more money with that meat by selling them as the various rib roasts. They usually trim beef ribs pretty close to the bone for that reason.

You mean the membrane? I would recommend taking the outside membrane off next time as that thing is going to be thick and the texture is like rubber. Pull it off just like you would pork ribs. There will be another membrane under it but you should leave that on to hold everything together. That layer of membrane won't be as nasty once it's cooked.

You mean the membrane? I would recommend taking the outside membrane off next time as that thing is going to be thick and the texture is like rubber. Pull it off just like you would pork ribs. There will be another membrane under it but you should leave that on to hold everything together. That layer of membrane won't be as nasty once it's cooked.

I did pull off the membrane but this was the thick stuff that holds the bones together, the meat was super tender but this stuff is super thick gristle, see the pic, is this normal on beef ribs? After cooked it was still really bad.... thats the picture of it after cooking

I bought the same ribs a thousand miles from where you are. :grin:
They were just too good a price to pass up.
I never remove the membrane as I remember reading on one BBQ forum or another that you don't have to for beef ribs.
I already cooked up a rack and found them to be very tender and we didn't have any inedible gristle on it.
Maybe it was just the package you got.

Also the single rack I smoked made a good meal for two adults.
They were meaty and tasty.
Their were seven ribs in the rack, I ate 4 and my wife ate 3.
Is that a normal portion?
Or should I be eating more BBQ. :biggrin1:

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 17