Lets see those sinks!

PigTamer

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Getting ready in the still frozen north for my first season of comp, need a sink system for KCBS. Starting with a clean slate and at this time I have no trailer,but am looking for a flatbed at the least to transport the gear. Any and all input is appreciated.

As stated we use 3 of the bus tubs for wash/sanitize and have never had an issue with any more then this needed. Now if your doing any vending that may differ. But for comps this has been fine.

Same here! 3 standard grey bus tubs with cheap-o Wal Mart $2.00 special drying rack.

I got a countertop with 2 sinks at IKEA for around $100. I use a plastic tub for the 3rd sink. I made a frame for the inside and foamed it in place. It pit pins to the side of the trailer when on the road. The SS countertop folds down once the awnings are up.I made up quick disconnect plumbing into a grey water bucket. I am adding a better hot water system this year. 3 sinks are required in PNWBA

Attachments

• DSCF0173.jpg
    DSCF0173.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 297
  • DSCF0175.jpg
    DSCF0175.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
The only reason you would even need the 3 sink is if you were doing peoples choice and even then it may not be necessary. Otherwise, there has never been a requirement by KCBS that I know of. Some places like CA may be different as I have never cooked there.

I was at one event in NM and the HD asked about them and I stated that everything was disposable and did not/would not require washing. When asked about the knives if one were droped, I opened a drawer and stated, I just get a clean one, no big deal.

Section 71 D of the 2013 KCBS rules.
d.

Sanitizing of work area should be implemented with
the use of a bleach/water rinse (one cap/gallon of
water). Each contestant will provide a separate
container for washing, rinsing and sanitizing of
utensils.

Wash Rinse Sanitize is 3 containers, I have always been asked to show them.

I know of a handful of cooks that once something is dirty it goes into a tub and not washed until they are home. Everything is disposable except the knives. And he has enough for each meat.

Otherwise, there has never been a requirement by KCBS that I know of. Some places like CA may be different as I have never cooked there.

It IS a KCBS requirement, although I have been told (by KCBS reps) that it's not when competing outside of New England. Here in the northeast, they always ask to see your 3 bins.

3 resin bins and a hot water source will meet the requirement, but of course one can always be a little over the top.

Made this sink last year for competitions and events we did. Passed dept of health inspections in 3 states, 6 counties and recieved compliments from just about everyone. A heavy duty stainless steel NSF cart that we cut out to fit the sinks. Has 5 gallon water tank and 7 gallon waste. Propane hot water heater which tank fits inside cart plus additional storage. Large casters and sits about 42" tall which is nice for the back. We have upgraded to a full enclosed trailer and this is for sale. Used for 1 season cost was $800 asking $450 obo.

picture.php

picture.php

plastic utility sink works good.

+1 that's what we used to use from Home Depot
I built one from a 2 compartment out of angle iron I had lying around. Works phenomenal
It's in the far left if the pic where we have a raw wash down area.
96DF4BFC-8D82-4313-87CB-4E3526988881-1518-0000014F0432F3C3.jpg

Now anyone with knowledge of kcbs rules, please chime in. Now I read that there must be 3 compartments which I do not have, easily fixable by having a sanitizing tub on a separate table, but what about gray water? Must it be contained? Because in our cookoffs like lonestar or any of our cookoffs, we just let it run in the grass since its so minimal, ounces at a time per wash.

Now anyone with knowledge of kcbs rules, please chime in. Now I read that there must be 3 compartments which I do not have, easily fixable by having a sanitizing tub on a separate table, but what about gray water? Must it be contained? Because in our cookoffs like lonestar or any of our cookoffs, we just let it run in the grass since its so minimal, ounces at a time per wash.

Most comp organizers will have a gray water dump station. I have seen where they are just a couple of 55 gallon drums.

But, they do not want anyone dumping gray water anywhere.

This is pricey, but I have seen teams that using them and they are nice! Especially, when it is cold out.

http://store.thebbqguru.com/weborderentry/Caldera 3 Bay Caterer

wallace

What do you guys use for a handwash? All I use at a comp for washing is three bus tubs, but I'd like a better handwash solution. And yes I use gloves like crazy.

That's just a little too pricey to purchase and not use for its intended purpose. I was just curious about the gray water. Gray water is just non potable water and can be disposed of anywhere. That's why nobody ever worried about retaining the gray water. Just trying to understand yet another weird rule of the kcbs. Kinda seems like one of them California things if you ask me

If you use the 3 sink for hand wash, the HD, if they observe it, will make you change them out. Grey water must be disposed of in the sanitary sewer system. It can not be dumped into the environment due to bleach, soap, etc. I have been caught at least once for each of the infactions and I promised not to do it again. That being said, unless the organizer informes you of the requirement, plead ignorance and have some tubs handy. I use the tubs for holding the spice containes and other things I don't want flying around the toy hauler. Don't over think it or volunteer.

Now anyone with knowledge of kcbs rules, please chime in. Now I read that there must be 3 compartments which I do not have, easily fixable by having a sanitizing tub on a separate table, but what about gray water?

KCBS rules are focused on food safety, and don't address grey water. Grey water handling procedures are normally specified by the organizer, and vary a lot from contest to contest. Sometimes we are told to pour it on the ground, bring it to a central collection point, or having it collected by roving grey water tankers.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about sink water only for washing of dishes outside. Not talking about Motorhome gray water, those have holding tanks and we are conservative if we gotta be somewhere a few days. Lol my buddy since his wife and girls come, and you know where this is going-outta gray water space has told me he will pull his handle a little with a short hose if its all grass and by morning it's emlty and dry. He also has a small 25 gal tank.

Back