Smokin in the rain

Physics202

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Planning to do some smoking this weekend, but there's rain in the forecast. I don't have a canopy to prop over my smoker (WSM 18.5), so I'm hoping for some suggestions to keep the smoker piping along. I thought about tenting some aluminum foil over the exhaust, but that's all I got....

Seems like I'm always using my UDS in the rain. I haven't had a problems yet. I would think the worst part of it would be getting wet whenever you go outside to tend to the pit.

Have plenty of fuel. Maybe use lump to keep your temps up and allow a lot more time.
I recently did a cook and it snowed that night 2-3", it added an additional 4 hours to the cook, at one point I couldn't get the WSM 22 over 210º running wide open, it was blowing snow and about 20º outside.
Good luck.

no big deal, might have to open some vents up more. cold rain pulls temp out of the pit. hit it with more heat

As long as it's not windy or pouring rain, no biggie. If you're really worried, clamp small umbrella to the handle on the lid.

I once parked my WSM next to a cedar fence, clamped a cheap tarp to one of support stringers and then anchored the opposite ends to a picnic bench. Also, ladder(s) covered with a tarp would come in handy to provide a temporary shelter for the WSM. Cheap plastic spring clamps are a great help and come in handy to hold all sorts of items when the wind kicks up.
Good luck,

The WSM design with the lid lip fitting inside the receiving flange of the middle section will allow rain to get into the smoker. Just foiling over the vent may not be enough.

Back