Weber 22.5 vs smokey joe for burgers/steaks/pork chops

Trumpstylz

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Which do you generally use more? I rarely use my smokey joe, but maybe I should start.

Gotta family of 5 I cook for, three of them being teenage boys.

22.5 is the go to for me.

I have 5 Smokey Joes in the shed. They don't see much use.

just depends on how much you want to cook. i find that the sj is fun at times. but since i got my go anywhere i use that the most. but if i'm cookin up a big dinner then i use the 22.5. thats why its fun to have all these grills.

I really depends on what your cooking and whether or not you use a 2 zone fire. It's funny how grill size perceptions vary by company. The Smokey Joe is considered tiny by most people but if it was a big green egg, it would be only slightly smaller than a medium. BGE makes 2 sizes smaller than that.

I really depends on what your cooking and whether or not you use a 2 zone fire. It's funny how grill size perceptions vary by company. The Smokey Joe is considered tiny by most people but if it was a big green egg, it would be only slightly smaller than a medium. BGE makes 2 sizes smaller than that.
What's the proximity of the charcoal to grate in the BGE? In the SJ they're pretty close is any kind of indirect is really difficult.

OTOH, a tamale pot changed the equation entirely. For grilling a 22.5 is my first choice but I do a lot of small smokes and similar on the mini-WSM. Most recently it held the fourth eight pound chicken that I thought would fit the top grate on my 22.5 WSM. :rolleyes:

DSC_5993-PP.JPG

The same number of coals that you would use in a SJ allows you to have a coal free safe zone on a 22.5 grill. You can move rare cooked meat to this area to keep warm while cooking other meat more. I run into this situation all the time.

I'm one of those guys whose Smoky Joe saw less and less use, until I gave it to a neighbor.

I can use my Kettle as easily as I ever did with the SJ.

I've got several other cookers and smokers, so the SJ became expendable.

My neighbor is enjoying the SJ, but he's making plans to buy an Offset...

Back