Pork Presentation Boxes

Smoke'n Ice

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I normally do not post pictures of my turn ins but based on some of the comments on a previous thread, I thought I would take a shot at being embarrassed and/or sorry. :crazy:

The first picture had appearance scores of 7's, 8',s and a few 9's from a mixed bag of judges with very few CBJ's, mostly freshly recruited and given a 1 hour class. It did take first against some good competition.

The second picture is of a turn in that took first among a very strong pork field and it was all CBJ's with some masters. A couple of judges gave 8's hence the 179.4286 final score for the box (missed 180 by an 1 in appearance score).

After looking at the pictures, I see two areas, chunks of meat without bark, on the perimeter that were distracting.

I'm using this as a learning experience for myself as well as other cooks that might need a little more help on what judges are looking for.

I'm old enough that criticism will not hurt my feelings, just give honest constructive feedback please.

Attachments

• 2011-05-28 12.54.31.jpg
    2011-05-28 12.54.31.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 513
  • 2011-06-04 12.55.06.jpg
    2011-06-04 12.55.06.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 506
I'm not a CBJ,but when I look at these all I see is that I want some. Looks Fantastic!!

I think that it looks tasty, but it doesn't jump out to me.

1st box - 7
2nd box - 7 maybe 8

With a score that close to perfect...don't listen to me!

On retrospec with the bare spot on the perimeter of both boxes, as a CBJ I would have given 7s on 1 and 8s on 2. But I do not look a gift horse in the mouth :-D

I think it's too dark but that's opinion. I also think the top box looks better but w/ the mm in the second it is more appealing.

I give the photos a 6, the white balance is off and focus is a little soft. :p

I think they look good, I am not a CBJ, but would have given them a 7 with a slow moving table captain, 8 with a quick glance. I want to eat that pork, but, not quite perfect.

Fluorescent lighting and an Android phone, what do youse expect :p

Generally, I find both boxes very appealing and appetizing, but not 9's appetizing. To me, the pork (to be even more appetizing) should show some lighter meat (no smoke ring) and some darker smoke-ring meat. I like the bark, but to me it's slightly dark (could be flash). In the 2nd photo the sauce is clear enough that it's not as appealing as it could be. I'd have scored both an 8. All in all, very good.

To me by being able to study the picture longer than the presentation at the judging table box #1 looks lopsided---the right side is heavier on the barked pieces than the left. I also looks like the sauce may be a little heavy on some pieces. Box #1 also looks a little dark, but as stated lighting and camera used may affect that. Score 7 maybe 8 at table. Box #2 I think looks a little better on color and balance. It makes me want to grab some a little more than box #1. Solid 8.

But the parsley is a little greener in box #1.:doh:

I say, that's a joke son!

Looks Dark, I would like to see more smoke ring, I agree with solid 8's. Easy to sit and look at pictures. I know you did your best and very proud of the turn in's. Thanks for the pictures
Big Jim

Looks Dark, I would like to see more smoke ring, I agree with solid 8's. Easy to sit and look at pictures. I know you did your best and very proud of the turn in's. Thanks for the pictures
Big Jim

While you may personally want more smoke ring, smoke ring is not to be considered in judging for KCBS competitions. It can be created artificially using a curing agent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not a fan on 1st box. great idea on 3 + 3 in the corners at the top on 2nd box but get em a little thinner so that you can lean em more to see the meat and bark. use all pieces like at bottom of box to fill the box with and ditch the pulled. 8's or maybe 9's but no worst than 8's.

Last edited:
I would have given both boxes 8s. Too many chunks/thick slices and could be a bit more pulled. I like a variety more than just one chunk. The bark seems a bit dark, but could be the lighting. Sure make my mouth water!

One thing I've noticed when judging is that meat arranged in a symetrical pattern tends to look more appealing. I like your turn in and would give it an 8, but instead of an approxiamte circle, three ruler straight rows (touching or not) of meat would probably score even higher.

I personally don't lower anyones score for garnish (or smoke rings) unless it gets in the way of the meat, but I know some do. Make the level of the parsley along the edges of the box even and try to use either all "curlier" or "flatter" instead of some of each. I know it's a pain, but spending five more minutes to get the edges even will improve your scores.

Big Jim

^^^ ditto ^^^

i saw video where a guy guy who built his pork box in a bowl upside down and then flipped it into the box this helped with uniformity. i think your pork itself looks great though!

My thoughts are 7's and here is why. The boxes are not as evenly placed as I would like to see. Meaning it's hard to distinquish six individual servings when it's a big pile. What if some greedy judge says I' ll take a bunch, and the same, meaning judge six doesn't get any? The chance isn't worth it to me. The meat raises my score though. Looks very tasty. Steve.

Back