Bandera - End of the line?

B

BrooklynQ

Brothers,

Noticing that the Bandera is no longer on the Charbroil website, I called charbroil today to see it they could tell me where I could buy a Bandera in NYC.

Steve, the guy on the phone said that "Home Depot and Academy still sells them."

"Still sells them?" I asked.

"They're no longer being manufacturered." says Steve.

I then asked when they stopped making them.

He backed off a bit and said that they were still available, but would not confirm or deny that they were still being made.

So is this the end of the line for the Bandera?

BrooklynQ said:
Brothers,

Noticing that the Bandera is no longer on the Charbroil website, I called charbroil today to see it they could tell me where I could buy a Bandera in NYC.
What white collar, desk sittin' idiot made that decision? What about replacement parts? Or extra racks?

How much do you guys pay for one of these? I am thinking about making an offset that is insulated at an affordable price. I need your input to make this happen. It won't need any Mods. to make it work right.

spicewine said:
How much do you guys pay for one of these? I am thinking about making an offset that is insulated at an affordable price. I need your input to make this happen. It won't need any Mods. to make it work right.
Jay, they run anywhere from $170 to $300, dependant on where you buy them.

I've seen them to $500. Regardless - I'm interested in a larger scale 'Bandera' similar to the MOAB that Phil just sent back to Klose.

spicewine said:

Better yet Jay. How much do you need to charge to at least make a little to pay for your time and materials? What would your asking price be?

I agree with Heath,I am very interested and would expect you to make a profit.I really like the Bandera and if you could make one thats insulated and available in colors like the ones you sell now you would have a winner.

I am thinking about making an offset that is insulated at an affordable price. I need your input to make this happen. It won't need any Mods. to make it work right.

I'm listening! Can the dimensions be dictated or does that fark up the price badly?

BrooklynQ said:
So is this the end of the line for the Bandera?

I certainly hope not. I had already decided that I am going to replace my dera with a Klose when it rides off into the sunset though....

jeffsasmokin said:
BrooklynQ said:
Brothers,

What white collar, desk sittin' idiot made that decision? What about replacement parts? Or extra racks?

Don't know - but the Charbroil website points to www.grilllovers.com for replacement parts. Their website only shows replacement parts for gas grills, but says that more parts are available by phone. Not a good sign IMHO

I'd suggest we all agree on one standard set of design specs.

Good idea. I vote for something like this.

smoker004.jpg

There is nothing magic about the Bandera. I like it a lot but if I had to buy another pit I would look around and see what else is available. There are a lot of good smokers available in the market today. My Bandera currently has a broken hinge so I will use the old NBBD (whick I still love) on the next BBQ. I still have not decided how I am goingtofix the Bandera. I might take it to a welding shop or maybe drill andbolt a new hinge on the thing. I will probably wait till spring to get it fixed. The thing that I love about the Bandera is the nice grill in the fire box. That would be my only wish item for a Spicewine smoker. I really like to use the grill for searing meat. I fix lot of chuck roasts (super steaks) and I like to finish them off over the fire. I will also some times fix burgers on the firebox on evenings when I am planning to BBQ all night. As far as I am concerned all my brand loyalty was lost when Charbroil bought them out and shut down the plant in N.B., Tx.

Bandera's are $198 at the local Academy.

I think those propane bigots at Charbroil are making a mistake.

I agree with the size things. I would say 24 by 24 for the smoker. Fire box bigger and inserted into the bottom instead of the side. I think these basic things would greatly improve the use of it. And then put one of those Tornado intake baffles from a carberator on the fire inlet to the smoke chamber to spin the heat around the chamber. Any other small mods everyone could do themselves to their liking.

Heath said:
I agree with the size things. I would say 24 by 24 for the smoker. Fire box bigger and inserted into the bottom instead of the side. I think these basic things would greatly improve the use of it. And then put one of those Tornado intake baffles from a carberator on the fire inlet to the smoke chamber to spin the heat around the chamber. Any other small mods everyone could do themselves to their liking.
????????????? That would not even be a facsimile of a "Dera. I say keep the basic design and improve on it's weak points. Jay, PLEASE improve the wheels! Even with the rear axle mod, it is a chore to drag that thing into the open yard!

I would say 24 by 24 for the smoker
My home oven racks are 18x24 and seem very adequate for most cooking needs, particularly in a vertical arrangement where you can have lots of shelves. A 4' high smokebox instead of the stock 3' would be nice as would a taller firebox to allow a properly designed charcoal basket that would allow for top down burning instead of a linear fashion. To me the grilling space is totally optional and the top of the firebox would be better off sealed shut.

I would be very interested in this idea, I've thinking about getting a new smoker.

Don't get me wrong guys. I intend to make a profit on these. Maybe not as much from you guys as I would the regular Joe. This was my intention--- My smokers that I now make are best suited for home or restaurant use. They are heavy ( double steel wall ) and not portable enough to drag around to contests unless mounted on a trailer. I want to make a lighter smoker that is more portable that has the same insulating properties as the ones I now make. Is this possible to do at a lower cost than my smallest model ? I don't know. I thought if I found out what you all like in a smoker , that I could develope one that fit everyones needs. This was never intended to be an ad for my smokers and I am not trying to sell you anything. I just want to make my business as flexable as possible.

Thankx

Spice

Back