It Aint BBQ Until You...

leanza

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Put sweet, savory sauce on it. According to the owner Gary Berbiglia of Arthur Bryants is saying. Just sending along his sentiments. I kinda enjoy mine these days with less sauce. Especially hot and fast ribs.

Anybody know what the original Bryants was like?

I have even got one of my good friend's trying Q first before putting on sauce. I then noticed the other day he didn't use any! Woohooo.

I still use a little on Pulled pork somtetimes however.

Yup... I really don't care for sauced ribs. Don't screw em up and you don't need any sauce.

Ditto on the pulled pork/brisky sammies... bread's just a bit too dry

Ah, the original Arthur Bryants....

In the mid 70's I was a meat cutter at a wholesale place tha sold briskets and such to Bryants. Being the low guy on the totem pole, I usuallygot to stay late to finish orders. The first time I stayed late to finish the combos of Briskets for Bryants, the driver asked if I'd ride along and help with the delivery, as it was late in the day for both of us....then he said the magig words....They Feed Us!

So...we get there. This place is and still is today, in an older part of town, where that old Ballpark used to be. We pull up out back. I start handing the boxes down off the back of the truck. The driver starts SLIDING them, yes, I said sliding, to one of the Btyants guys in the cooler. There was so much grease on the floor that you could send a 75 lb box of briskets as far as you needed with one good push. Smelled CRAZY good. We got the load unloaded and they asked what we wanted to eat. My driver says "the usual". I quickly learned what Bryants was all about. They brought us a slab, 2 HUGE sandwiches, and all the fries you could eat in a week. I had found my new favorite place. Funny, I always knew which days to stick around late to make sure that I got "stuck" working late.

Then and now, the place does a great lunch and dinner business. It amazes me to see the diversity of people that show up to eat here. Is the food as good as "the old days"? I say yes.

Now I'm hungry, and they are closed....

I grew up eating BBQ that was in essence grilled beyond any belief, fast, very hot,
no fats rendered at all, and started off with loads of sauce which was consequently
BURNED. Needless to say, I really didnt care for BBQ (so I thought). Since then
I've learned much, and to find out that I LOVE properly done BBQ. Ribs, Pulled Pork,
Brisket, Pulled Beef, whatever. Done correctly, still moist, with a nice amount of
complimentary smoke, and a wonderful rub making a great bark, I frankly can do
without sauce. Sans Sauce.

A good sauce makes even great things taste better ...

I've eaten at the original Bryants many times. Still good ribs and fries. Don't really care for AB's original sauce, though. Never could acquire a taste for it.

Sauce = optional (and always on the side)

If you cook it right, it dont need no stinkin sauce.

Just my $0.02.

I never use sauce on Brisket and it is rare that I use much on Pulled Pork (maybe a lil' vinegar/mustard sauce), but I just about always glaze my ribs at the end. I just like em that way! I like them dry too, but I like them more with that gooey sauce baked onto them!

Dang.. now I'm hungry...

Back