Oysters on the Kettle

wolfkeg

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Here are some pics from a trip down to South Carolina with some family and friends. Rained all day so we figured we would cook some oysters up. We picked up two bushels of cluster oysters down at the market, some charcoal, and a burlap sack from the coffee shop.

Fired it up, cleaned them off and soaked the burlap. They had just a light smokey flavor from the liquor burning off on the steel. Briny and clean taste.

Turned a blah day at the beach into a great memory.

Thanks!

Those look great. I friend of mine's dad is from up your way, Statesville, and always has to have oysters when he's down here. Its just a good time standing around the grill with some beers and shucking.

He** yeah, that's what it's about!!:hail:

Wish we could get decent oysters up here...
Plan on gorging myself on some next week in NOLA.

Thanks for sharing!:thumb:

Help me out with the burlap bag over the grill...? Is it there to simply keep the heat on the oysters cooking under it?

The burlap heats up and creates steam while hold in the heat around the oysters. They are not all in contact with the steel on the grill so they need that steam to evenly cook. It also keeps the steel from getting too hot. We just soak it in a 5 gallon bucket between batches. Save the burlap and re-use next time.

Oh and that is not a grill grate the oysters are sitting on. It is a sheet of stainless.

Gotta love those blue oyster knives, they are definitely my favorite for the clusters. They are made in Greenville SC. Love that y'all did them with burlap, it's way better than steaming them in a pot!

The burlap heats up and creates steam while hold in the heat around the oysters. They are not all in contact with the steel on the grill so they need that steam to evenly cook. It also keeps the steel from getting too hot. We just soak it in a 5 gallon bucket between batches. Save the burlap and re-use next time.

Oh and that is not a grill grate the oysters are sitting on. It is a sheet of stainless.

Thanks for that bit of info. I'm off to find some burlap...:wink:

I can drink a lot of beer when eating oysters...or was it eat a lot of oysters when drinking beer?

Oysters are the sole reason I'm here. For Christmas we had an outdoor neighborhood party in our cul-de-sac. I bought a 55 gallon drum to use as a fire barrel and to roast oysters. I had heard of people making smokers out of drums before. A search on The Google brought me to to the mother of all UDS threads. The rest is history.

Great looking oysters. Are those Charleston oysters by any chance? I have a bunch of family down in Charleston and they get to know me very well during oyster season if you know what I mean. I try and get down there for at least a half dozen oyster roasts a year because they are that good. cluster oysters are great

Great looking oysters. Are those Charleston oysters by any chance? I have a bunch of family down in Charleston and they get to know me very well during oyster season if you know what I mean. I try and get down there for at least a half dozen oyster roasts a year because they are that good. cluster oysters are great

Just north of Charleston closer to Litchfield. I prefer the smaller creek oysters to the larger bay oysters any day. Don't get me wrong though, I will eat them all. I can find some similar to these up towards Ocean Isle, NC, but the availability is much more scarce. These seem to be more of the norm in South Carolina.

Back