Stats Don't lie - One Meat will Kill you

RangerJ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Most of you really experienced cooks will already know this but this is the first time a granular look has been done at how blowing one meat can kill you or in this case Pappa Charlies

I'm still relatively new at this and honestly there was no real reason to look this close at things as initially I was just trying not to finish DAL, which grew to getting one call, which has grown to trying to finish top 10 and in this case top 7.

From this weekend's Conroe event, these are not where I placed but where I placed in relation to the top 5 teams, with those ahead in parentheses

Pappa Charlies Vs Top 5

Chicken - 2nd ( Habitual Smokers)
Ribs - 1st
Pork - 3rd ( Triple A Cookers, Slabs are Sexy)
Brisket - last ( all top 5)
Overall vs top 5 - last - 12th

Pappa Charlies Vs Top 7

Chicken - 2nd ( Habitual Smokers)
Ribs - 2nd ( Lil Earls)
Pork - 4th ( Barry and Erica, Triple A, Slabs Are Sexy)
Brisket - Last ( All top 7)
Overall vs Top 7- Last - 12th

For the record, the brisket was 24th overall or almost last.

It really shines a light on how consistency pays off. Blow one meat and it effects everything. Again, sure most of you know this but for those that don't hope it helps.

Ranger, I agree completely, with the point system KCBS uses, which I think is the best out there, cooking consistenly with all 4 meats is crucial...Nothin like texas Q...:becky:

Ya oughta try tanking in 2 meat catagories. :doh::doh: It ain't a purty sight.:tsk:

Just shows the importance to have all 4 catagories as best as you can do. One of them will be the worst, and you have to be prepared for that. GC's are usually lost and won in single digit scores. Every detail has to be accounted for.

Different sanctioning bodies choose GC and RGC differently. However, yes, KCBS being a total scoring system, consistency wins, inconsistency will get you killed in a hurry.

On the other side of that is that doing great in two and ok in two is not as good as doing better in all four. It's all about the points baby!

Very insightful, Wes. I was sorry to see that you didn't make the Top 7 but clearly you're on the right track with your cooking and getting that 4th meat to become more consistent isn't very far away.

Very insightful, Wes. I was sorry to see that you didn't make the Top 7 but clearly you're on the right track with your cooking and getting that 4th meat to become more consistent isn't very far away.

A long time ago, in a land far, far away, someone once told me that consistency was the key to success. This same someone reinforced this point on mulitple occassions.

Who knew he had a small idea of what he was talking about? :wink:

I learned my lesson this weekend, I finished 9th overall out of 28 teams, but I screwed the pooch on my staple meat, pork. I was also quite shocked to get 8th in Brisket using a $2.00 a pound USDA Select Brisky from Wally World ( I nailed the burnt ends).

I got a 3rd in Chicken, and had some great ribs, but tyhey needed about 30 minutes longer and I had charcoal issues and had to ration between 2 cookers, ended up 14th.

Not bad for my 1st KCBS and 6th comp ever.

A long time ago, in a land far, far away, someone once told me that consistency was the key to success. This same someone reinforced this point on mulitple occassions.

Who knew he had a small idea of what he was talking about? :wink:

I know exactly what your talking about!..we finally put it all together this weekend with 4 calls(first time ever)..that dam chicken killed us all last year,consistency,consistency,consistency..pays off!

Bet those two 2nd place checks helped ease that pain... :-D
It helped, but I would have traded those 2 second place checks for no money and a top 7 finish. But, I learned a valuable lesson for cookin' KCBS. It ain't the same as Texas organizations. Consistency is key.

Man Wes, that is the straight up truth. Our second to last AZ competition had us 3rd CHX, 3rd Ribs, 8th Pork in a 34 team contest. The DAL brisket dropped us quickly to 14th overall.

It hurt even more when the rep came over after the contest to inform us we were in 1st heading in to brisket.

The good teams are truly models of consistency across the board.

Back