• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thinking about doing comps

CrimsonSmoke

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My 14 yr old son has been after me to enter some comps next year. I have decided I will try a few. Which class should I go for, backyard or Pro. I have talked with several guys around here and they say the I should just jump right end with the big dogs due to entry fees not being that much different. I will do mostly smaller comps I guess. What do you brothers think? Oh, how does CrimsonSmoke sound for a team name.:?:

Sounds good to me. Coming up with a team name can be hard, at least it was for us. I say jump right in. Its hard to find a better bunch of guys than the pro circuit.

Jump in. You have support here to answer any questions you have. Find a Brother that might be doing a comp near you and give him a hand to see what it's about. You will have fun and that is what it's all about. Winning is the bonus. My 11 year old has helped me at the last two I have done. We have a great time whether we walk or not.

The team name sounds great. I like it.

As far as the competitions, I'm sure you'll like it, but if you have access, try to hook up with a local team to work with them at a future competition first. Help them out with set up & general duties along with any requests they have relative to food prep or pit tending. It will allow you to get a feel for the schedule & work involved without all of the pressures of competing.

If you just jump in, you'll probably be fine as well but a little trial run can't hurt.

Good Luck.

Thanks ,Vinny great advice. There is a comp in Decatur Ala. this weekend. That we plan on going to and just hanging out and talking to folks. If any brethren going to be there PM me so we can set a meet or if they need extra hands.

Jump in with both feet!! That's the way we started. We used an offset and an upright with a webber kettle to help out! Man we sure looked small time at the MO state fair. But we still pulled off a 7th. in ribs that day. didn't look small after that. Give it go bro. Good team name too.

Maybe its a KC thing, but I thought all contests were amature and then you had invitationals which I would consider the "pros".

Either way just do it. I waited too long. It's also a good bonding time for you and that 14y/o

If you are cooking on the KCBS or other sanctioned circuit for money, you are a pro. Invitationals are icing on the cake, sort of like the playoffs.

Jump in, most contests don't even have a backyard division. You can learn everything you need to know so not to make a fool of yourself the first time out on this site. You should check out the Basso site as well though, you'll see many of the same handles.

I can't imagine better bonding time for you and your son.

I like the team name! Everyone says jump right in, and if your ready for it do it! At the cooks meeting they will ask if its your first time and someone will keep an eye on you.
I'm doing my first comp this weekend and I'm chomping at the bit! I took a couple classes, hung out with some cooks, took the KCBS CBJ class and judged two comps to get an idea how it all works, now all I have to do is show up with my game face on.
Good Luck and I will be looking forward to hear about it!

Brian

The Team name works! Now give it a go!

At KCBS contests, the reps really do seem to go out of there way with the new teams. I think its great that they do this, and helps grow the sport.

If you're not sure about something, ask. Most people will go out of their way to help a new team along.

Everyone will tell you this, and its true: Competing is about having a good time. Make sure you and your son are having fun.

With respect to classes, start with becoming a Certified BBQ Judge. Even if you don't plan on judging, its good to know what you are being evaluated on. Besides, its pretty inexpensive. If you do judge a contest, it gives you great insight on what people are turning in.

Competition classes are good too. It is pretty cool to learn what the big league players are doing. If you already know the basics of cooking the four categories, make sure the class you take is at a higher level. That way you don't spend money to learn things you already know.

Congratulations and best of luck to you! Make sure you post your experiences.

Last edited:
took the KCBS CBJ class and judged two comps to get an idea how it all works, now all I have to do is show up with my game face on.

As Brian did, after you visit a couple of contests, I'd suggest taking the CBJ class so you can get a better idea of the rules and you can see things from a judge's perspective. I don't know exactly where you are in Alabama but maybe this class isn't too far away.

Certified BBQ Judging Class

Saturday
February 23

Columbus, MS
Instructor: HARWELL RON
Contact: Harvey Myrick, 662-328-6850, grilling@bellsouth.net

These classes are $65 I believe and either $30 or $35 of that goes to pay your first year dues as a KCBS member. You have to be 16 to judge but I don't know if you have to be 16 to take the class. If nothing else, I'd think your son could at least participate in the class or volunteer or something. I'd call or email Harvey and get some more details on that. And the name CrimsonSmoke.......has a ring to it, I like it.

I say jump right in and have a good time, the name sounds great I like it. it should be fun making it a family event and some good time with the son. As far as "Pro" or Backyard I would go ahead and jump in with the Pro's you always want to be judged against the best IMO it feels even better when you win.

I would say jump right in with the big fish , I did just that. And I like the team name. Starting out at small local events would be a good idea.

Maybe its a KC thing, but I thought all contests were amature and then you had invitationals which I would consider the "pros".

Either way just do it. I waited too long. It's also a good bonding time for you and that 14y/o

Any time you compete for money you are considered professional.

As Brian did, after you visit a couple of contests, I'd suggest taking the CBJ class so you can get a better idea of the rules and you can see things from a judge's perspective. I don't know exactly where you are in Alabama but maybe this class isn't too far away.

Certified BBQ Judging Class

Saturday
February 23

Columbus, MS
Instructor: HARWELL RON
Contact: Harvey Myrick, 662-328-6850, grilling@bellsouth.net

These classes are $65 I believe and either $30 or $35 of that goes to pay your first year dues as a KCBS member. You have to be 16 to judge but I don't know if you have to be 16 to take the class. If nothing else, I'd think your son could at least participate in the class or volunteer or something. I'd call or email Harvey and get some more details on that. And the name CrimsonSmoke.......has a ring to it, I like it.

I have cooked for two judging classes that Ron Harwell has conducted. He is very good. He is also an excellent KCBS Contest Rep.

Going to a comp and hanging with a team is a great learning experience for a first time out. Doing the judging thing as Brian did will give you a better aspect of what turn in's are all about. Presentation was one of the big learning curves for us.
But, don't be afraid to jump in and get your feet wet. You'll find that most everyone out there is more than willing to help you however they can.

I jumped in with both feet at first. A huge learning curves. Taging along with a team woudl have been better. However, when you get on the circuit other people are more than glad to help out.

I can still remember the first contest, Boone County Fair in 2002. It was hot and I pulled in with a brinkman offset, a ECB, and an EZ up. Next to us was a Motor Home and FEC, smoking trigers, and 4 men and a pig.

Mark and Becky talked to me and gave me some pointers, Ed from Set it and Forget it (I think he was on the team 4 chefs and les at that time), and the Meatorites got my brother and I to the finish line.

I think my wife still wishes she would have gotten me a boat in stead of the cooker.

Have fun with it and good luck.

I listened to a Podcast interview with Kevin Bevington of HomeBBQ and he had some very good advice to people considering getting into competition BBQ that was very interesting. if you have the time give it a listen, a lot of it is echoed here.http://bbq-4-u.com/pods/

Brian

I say jump right in with both feet. I did and have never looked back.

Back