EGG Fire Going On 26 Hours now

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Fired the XL EGG up at 12:30pm yesterday using about 15 lbs of KF. Over shot to about 300º and between me learning the airflow control took about 4 hours to hit 240º on the dome. 10:00pm 230º at the grate, did the wiggle rod, 6:00am this morning 230º, wiggle rod again. When Temp started going down, a few adjustments during the day of the vents and now at 3:30pm I am still at 230º :lol: and I still have a gasket.

Smoking mostly air but did do a Fatty last night...
Picture140.jpg

Picture143.jpg

My biggest problem was using LUMP! In 25 years of grilling I have never used it. That will be my next challenge.

Mmmmm... looks great!

I've found that the temperature will go down a lot faster if you completely choke off the damper below and close off the smoker top. Keep both closed until you see the temperature drop to where you want to be, then slowly open both up again to the temperature you want.

26 hours and one fatty.

Maybe if you take a week or two off you could cook a brisket.

26 hours and one fatty.

Maybe if you take a week or two off you could cook a brisket.

He needs time to finish eating the fatty first. Then prepare the fire, trim the brisket, rub the brisket, rest the brisket........let's shoot for halloween dinner!

Jeff

1 XL egg: $900 +
1 Bag of KF $12.00
1 Fattie: $6.00
24 hours and 1 smoked fattie later? Priceless...

Nice!

1 XL egg: $900 +
1 Bag of KF $12.00
1 Fattie: $6.00
24 hours and 1 smoked fattie later? Priceless...

Nice!

Ok you guys, :oops: I was not going to throw a big hunk meat on this thing before I got a handle on the fire control. This all was just done on a spur of the moment idea. 1st time trying the EGG with KF. I was just so Fark'n happy I got the long burn down wanted to brag! :-D

Ok you guys, :oops: I was not going to throw a big hunk meat on this thing before I got a handle on the fire control. This all was just done on a spur of the moment idea. 1st time trying the EGG with KF. I was just so Fark'n happy I got the long burn down wanted to brag! :-D

Yes, I understand!

But you just had to know we were going to mess with you.

Now we need to get you to buy some quality lump and convert the same process to that.
I tried what I thought that you might be doing and ran my fire for 15 minutes and then starteed to set it when it got to 300 degrees and the close it down almost all the way and hads it open about a 1/16th of an inch on the lower and 1/2 open daisy petals. I left for 1/2 an hour and the temp dropped to 200 and the fire was almost out. I opened the lower vent and just the petals open on top and did a little wiggle sticking and got it to reignite and continue the cook. Did I mention I was doing 2 racks of spares also? Anyway the egg got back to 250 as i closed the vent down to about 1/2 inch and left it for another 4 hours.
No pron so it really didn't happen.

So, are we having Thanksgiving Turkey next 4th of July???:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Aaaaahhhhh we was just teasing. You actually proved a point about the ceramics. Many people think its an urban legend that the units can burn that long -18-24 hours- on just 1 load. Congrats...

Of course, use the term "wiggle rod" very carefully!

Pork Smoker,

You should be able to get as long of a burn easier with lump. IMHO Briqs have too much ash and choke off the grates. Most lump burns cleaner.

I still say, get a stoker and got to bed. I control the overnight cooks with a stoker in my Stump's, BGE and have even use it on my UDS.

As Ron Popeil would say, "Set it and forget it"

Pork Smoker,

You should be able to get as long of a burn easier with lump. IMHO Briqs have too much ash and choke off the grates. Most lump burns cleaner.

I would agree with you. I tried 4 times with the LUMP and after a few hours the fire was out. I lit it in 1 place 4 places still no go. I am sure it is the start up time, but if I get the LUMP going good, I am way over on temp by that time. Then I am waiting hours to get it back down.

Someone did mention shutting down the intake completely and letting the Temp drop quicker. I am going to try this method next.

The Guru would most likely solve this problem and I will end up getting one. I just want to learn it the old fashioned way. I like playing with fire!

Still learning............

Just remember that it may not settle in at 250 exactly even when using the DigiQII. Every Egg is slightly different and will have it's own temp zone it operates at with the same setting as a like Egg. a 1/6th inch lower vent opening on one XL may be a 3/16th inch opening on another for the same range and one will hold steady at 245 where as another will want to settle at 265. So don't expect perfection even with the DigiQII but it should keep you burning for the full duration of a long drawn out roast. So on Monday get online and order your temp controller and you will be doing brisket & butts in no time.

It will be interesting to see what your burn time is once you have a couple of butts or briskets in it to absorb some of that heat.....keep us posted.....

I would agree with you. I tried 4 times with the LUMP and after a few hours the fire was out. I lit it in 1 place 4 places still no go. I am sure it is the start up time, but if I get the LUMP going good, I am way over on temp by that time. Then I am waiting hours to get it back down.

Someone did mention shutting down the intake completely and letting the Temp drop quicker. I am going to try this method next.

The Guru would most likely solve this problem and I will end up getting one. I just want to learn it the old fashioned way. I like playing with fire!

Still learning............

Use a chimney and the minion method. Put lit coals away from bottom vent so fire burns back towards it.

If you let temps get away the fire will often go out when you damper down closed to lower temps. So don't let it happen. Let your pit settle at a temp for at least 15 minutes, then put your meat on and do not touch the bottom vent to get temp back. You can open the top slightly more and go back to the original position as you get close.

Practicing on an empty pit does not help much. Practice on Pork Butts.

Hell I can tell you the reason it won't burn long on lump. If the ambient air is higher than your target temp you don't need any fire. Isn't it hot in Southern Az.?:biggrin:

Back