• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Im using a 12in turkey fryer thermometer for my build using a brass fitting i had laying around.. I modified it a little and drilled a hole tru the center that way u can slide the thermometer in and out to remove the fire basket..Its pretty much same thing carbon posted above. Only thing bad about the turkey fryer thermometer is u can only find it with a two inch dial and most are cheap so im sure they are not very accurate haven't used mine yet so cant really say if it is are not.. If anybody knows where i can get one with a bigger dial please let me know..

Last edited:
Hey fellas, I was going to burn out my drum today or tomorrow, what size hole do I need to drill for the air hole in the bottom for the 3/4" threaded pipe nipples? is it a 7/8" hole? thanks, ~Anthony

Or you can use a long stemmed pull-thru thermometer. Install a small brass nipple fitting with a hole the same size as the stem. The thermo will insert straight across and stay level.

Here I have a 12" turkey fryer thermo inserted in my UDS. I know I've posted this pic in this mega-thread about 2 years ago.
P1060104.jpg

The turkey thermometer is a little slow to show a temp spike. I like to use a $16 Wal-Mart digital.

Thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread.
Here’s my UDS. $5 barrel and around $95 spent at Lowes. It took me a couple of weeks from start to finish using this thread as a step by step how to. Cooked a couple of “Boston Roasts” on Easter Friday. Started the charcoal chimney at 4:45 waited for nice blue smoke at around 6:15 before the butts hit the smoker. The small one, 5lbs, took 10 hours @ 235-265. The large one, 7.5 lbs took around 12 hours. Pulled the small one at 195 and the large one at 185. Rested both of them for an hour or so. A crowd of – I can’t wait to see what it tastes like – friends ate all of the Q before I could get a finished product photo. Next time I’m going to do 4.

THEY WERE REALLY GOOD.

20130313_100021.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg
1.jpg

Year old UDS

Built my UDS last winter, and finally getting around to posting pics. 25 bucks for a barrell, buddy of mine sandblasted the inside and about a hundred bucks in various supplies and a CL find on a 22.5 BBQ pro kettle for the second grate and drum. Sits very nicely at 250-275 with both nipples capped and the valve about half open. LOVE IT!

Attachments

• DSC_0337.jpg
    DSC_0337.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 716
  • DSC_0339.jpg
    DSC_0339.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 716
  • IMAG0043 (3).jpg
    IMAG0043 (3).jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 718
Hey fellas, I was going to burn out my drum today or tomorrow, what size hole do I need to drill for the air hole in the bottom for the 3/4" threaded pipe nipples? is it a 7/8" hole? thanks, ~Anthony

3/4" trade size measures out at 1 1/8". At this size the threads will not grab the barrel. A good unibit will get you close to an inbetween size.

Here’s my UDS. $5 barrel and around $95 spent at Lowes. It took me a couple of weeks from start to finish using this thread as a step by step how to. Cooked a couple of “Boston Roasts” on Easter Friday. Started the charcoal chimney at 4:45 waited for nice blue smoke at around 6:15 before the butts hit the smoker. The small one, 5lbs, took 10 hours @ 235-265. The large one, 7.5 lbs took around 12 hours. Pulled the small one at 195 and the large one at 185. Rested both of them for an hour or so. A crowd of – I can’t wait to see what it tastes like – friends ate all of the Q before I could get a finished product photo. Next time I’m going to do 4.

THEY WERE REALLY GOOD.

Nice work! Can you tell me where you got the hook for your lid? I have been trying to find something and havent had any luck. Is it a part of your handle assembly? Thanks

THEY WERE REALLY GOOD.

Nice work! Can you tell me where you got the hook for your lid? I have been trying to find something and havent had any luck. Is it a part of your handle assembly? Thanks

The handle is from a pressurized water can that had rusted. 5/16 threads. The hook is a piece of shifter linkage from my pile of junk container.

Finally figured out my basket
20130403_144451_zps47b94f9a.jpg

Exhaust vent fitted
20130404_161003_zps1609b7a4.jpg

Grill mounted
20130404_160853_zps0274b17b.jpg

I just need to find a bbq thermometer and I'm done I think.

Hey guys, I am finishing up the paint on the new UDS (Pics to come soon), quick question: Does the lid (original to the drum) get hot enough to burn off the original paint? I was sanding the lid yesterday and it is not comming off as easy as I like and if its not going to get hot enough to burn the paint off then I'll leave it as it is and paint with high temp and be done with it...thanks for the help, ~Anthony

Yes I did, thick blanket of snow outside and I couldn't wait. The promise of barbecued feasts offset the misses complaints. Fired it up today, struggled to keep the temperature steady, I think I need a better thermometer and have a pop at n8mans lighting technique.

Stupid question time... How do I know if the liner is all gone? I let the fire go all night and now the inside of the barrel and the lid are both black. Has a nice and shiny gloss to it.

Last edited:
Finished my UDS and seasoned it yesterday. Thanks to all who have posted. Looking forward to using it this weekend. Hopefully will have time to post pics in the next few days!

Finished and seasoned my UDS yesterday! Looking forward to using it this weekend and hopefully will have time to post some pics soon.
Thanks to all who have posted before me. The advice, knowledge and pics were invaluable.

Back