Recommended cleaning procedure or RF smoker

shtrbc

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
How does everyone go about cleaning their RF smokers? I recently built one and have not had to clean it yet. Just looking for input from the Brethern. Thanks in advance!!

Steam clean like on the lang website. Heat it up good and hot and hit the inside with a spray of the hose, shut it quickly, it will also clean your face! The outside I use plain old furniture polish spray. Sounds silly but actually will take that black streaky stuff and any grease off.

Mine doesnt sit exactly level so I take a big paint scraper and scrape all the grease to the drain from time to time.

I use a pressure washer on my offset. Then heat it up and steam anything left off. Then rinse and use. As for the exterior after a good pressure washing, just rub it down with oil and heat it up.... looks pretty and builds a nice finish.

steam cleaning

before you start your smoker so you can steam clean it lift your grates and scrape tour searplate you with a paint scraper 3" is my favorite start fire in smoker let it get to about 275 to 300 deg. spay inside of cook chamber making shure you clean the drain the outside use mix of veg. oil and water or lemon pledge

Thanks for the replies. Keep'm coming. Does the lemon Pledge actually clean the outside if there is greasy residue? It doesn't smear all the gooie stuff all over? No additional weird smells or anything from the Pledge? Hey, I am not doubting the Brethern, just had NEVER heard of this method. Thanks again!!

1. remove the cooking grates to a piece of plywood or sheet metal lying on your grass
2. pressure wash the cooking grates, both sides
(This knocks off all the crud and most of the grease but leaves the grates with enough grease so they don't rust, just exactly what you'd want
3. use a floor scraper to scrape the heavy off your RF plate. Remove buldup to bucket.
4. open the cleanout drain, which should be a 2" pipe at the lowest point
5. pressure wash the inside
6. light a fire and warm it up to dry it out

Takes less than an hour including getting out the floor scraper and pressure washer, and putting them away again.

I don't clean the outside of my smoker except once or twice a year.

seattlepitboss

Furniture polish really, really works. Brethern awscwi cooked with me in our first comp, laughed at me the whole time about the polish, next day he sent me a picture of his shopping cart with 2 cans of pledge in it. It does work and the smell is hardly noticeable. Dont get me wrong on heavy grease it still takes some elbow to get a set in grease glob off, but it will, bird markings too. Also since it has wax rain beads up like a nicely waxed car. I use walmart's generic brand. That's just one the body tho, I've never done the firebox, I just crisco that about every other use, trying to get it to look like cast iron

Last edited:
Thanks Bly. I went and picked up a couple cans today!! Will give it a shot next weekend.

Back