Real quick butt questions

shdybrady

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got my thermometer in and its reading 175-180. But the probe is going in like butter. But I have been told the meat is done when it says its done. Should I pull the meat off?

you can make sliced pork at that temperature...its done..however if you want pulled pork you need to let it hit at least 190-195.

david

DId you calibrate your thermometer? Are you sure the temp is reading correctly? To me it is more about the feel.

Why yes you should. I've never had a butt like that, usually my butts take WAY TOO LONG. I've had more than a few briskets come from the butcher's and they're the tenderest meat I've eaten on a brisket, and their temps were reading 180-185 when I pulled them.

As you said, it's done when it's done.
It's all about feel, and of course a minimum of 165 degrees.

ill leave it on for a bit longer but Im not letting it get to 200 like i usually do. I have done probably 15 butts so far. and this thing is just as tender. I wonder if the thermometer is off

It's NOT about temp...it's about being done. If the probe goes in like butter it's done, take it off....

ill leave it on for a bit longer but Im not letting it get to 200 like i usually do. I have done probably 15 butts so far. and this thing is just as tender. I wonder if the thermometer is off

I've had butts that were tender, pullable at 180 degrees before. Don't worry about temperature, when it's done...it's done.

I've had butts that were tender, pullable at 180 degrees before. Don't worry about temperature, when it's done...it's done.

+1

Me too. I go by feel more than temp. Can you twist the bone? If so, it's done.

Is it bone-in pork butt? If so, try tugging on the bone, if it starts to slip right out it's done. If I'm doing boneless I usually just go by temp and pull at 195.

The bone is there to stay. So its not done. I am tring to learn the ways to get away from the thermometer. I know the rib check and now the pork check. Hopefully I can do away with one completely one day

The bone is there to stay. So its not done. I am tring to learn the ways to get away from the thermometer. I know the rib check and now the pork check. Hopefully I can do away with one completely one day

Think about what jello looks like when you tap it. That is similar to what a pork that is done should do. It's the "Santa" factor. It should shake like a bowl full of jelly.

Is it bone-in pork butt? If so, try tugging on the bone, if it starts to slip right out it's done. If I'm doing boneless I usually just go by temp and pull at 195.

Saiko hit it on the head with the bone test. If the bone won't come out it's not like "butter" yet.

Saiko...you are the man!

Well, geez, I mentioned the bone test first. Golly willikers.:icon_smile_tongue:

Back