BGE Help

BBQ_MAFIA

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Plate Setter for the XL Big Green Egg is covered under their guarantee?
A week or so ago I seared two large steaks on my Egg and then took them off the grate, put in the Plate Setter and finished off the steaks indirectly. When the steaks were done I took them off and closed the egg along with the vents and replaced the daisy wheel with the ceramic cap. Today I planned to cook a few chops so when I uncovered my Egg and found my Plate Setter Split in half.
Nobody has touched the Egg and it has not been exposed to any crazy weather.

To top it all off I just bought a Pizza stone for the XL and now can't use it.

I plan to call the mother ship on Monday but first wanted to check in here and get your thoughts.

Thanks in advance for your feed back.

The plate setter has a 3 year warranty instead of the lifetime on the egg. They gave me another one last year after mine developed a hairline crack through it. The new one is staying in the box until the old one finally breaks.

What Dizzy said. The Egg itself, firebox, and fire ring have the lifetime warranty. Platesetter and pizza stone are 3 years.

I have to admit. I thought the BGE would be a little more durable than what I'm reading about. I'm on a few other forums and it seems like it's happening a lot to people also,myself included. I bought mine off of CL at a REALLY great price so I really don't give a rip if it falls apart. I've had mine now for 3-4 years and love it and use it all the time. I understand that if you buy it new it comes with a warranty but I wouldn't want the hassle of dealing with corporate and having my egg out of service.

I also have the XL Egg, my plate setter has had a crack about half way across it and has for the last several years. Does not hurt a thing and don't seem to be getting worse. Get it replaced and don't sweat it.

Camben, the problem as I've seen it is with the XL (and XXL may be worse), but it typically just needs care in handling. The XL is enough bigger that the platesetter probably is stressed in ways that make it more difficult to keep intact. Just my opinion, though.

Back