What Book For BBQ Smoking Is Considered An Industry Benchmark

People on this site hate Myron because he portrays a character on TV, but his book "Smokin' with Myron Mixon" is a fantastic book for getting started. He discusses a ton of techniques, gives some rubs, sauces, and injections, and has simple to follow recipes for most of the popular BBQ meats.

I don't hate him! And it is a good book. I stopped at a Dollar General in the middle of nowhere Mississippi on the way to a work conference and they had his "Everyday Barbecue" for $3. I bought em all and use it for small gifts to friends getting into BBQ or stocking stuffers.

It's been mentioned several times, but I agree with Peace, Love, and BBQ by Mike and Amy Mills, and Big Time BBQ by Ray Lampe (aka Dr. BBQ). These were the first two that I got, and I still refer to them often. I like Franklin's book, and I have others by Paul Kirk, Myron Mixon, Raichlen, etc. etc.............If you find someone who you like to watch cook, you should buy their book.

As to Meathead....I found his site in the early days and cooked a lot of his recipes. They were very good. He had a lot of science to back up why things were the way they were. Then, he started pontificating about salt and how it HAS to be applied before you season the meat, and took all of the salt out of his rubs. He started putting recipes up about hot dogs and pot roast and spaghetti and a bunch of crap not BBQ related....I grew tired of his constant reminding everyone of his credentials and why he was right. Then the Weber SmokeFire turned into his dumpster fire and he went off the deep end. Lost any respect for the guy I had. He can got to hell drinking a warm Blatz Light for all I care. I won't spend a wooden nickel buying anything he sells.

I just picked up Praise The Lard from the library. Haven't really gotten into it yet but it seems well written and informative at first glance.

Nothing is better than the info on this site, and trial and error.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a few books, but this forum changes on the daily. I've seen some outrageous "out of the box" cooks on here, and just the availability of the membership is without peer. There's cooks here who have or have restaurants, competition cooks, back yard Jedi's....and if ya wish, they're a PM away. There's no substitute fer Qtalk...period, IMO.
Yer in the best book ya can find, as we speak.
Don't forget about the search feature at the bottom.

-D

I like Aaron Franklin's book. I have a couple of Steven Raichlen's books and I know he's talented but I have a lot of trouble getting past watching a bbq expert soak his wood chips and still take him seriously. I had the same trouble with Bobby Flay when he did a show on brisket that was allegedly in the Texas style his wife (who is from Austin) loved. He was so far from central Texas style brisket (as taught by Aaron Franklin) that I don't think he was even in the state. Soaking the wood chips, putting the brisket on with no trimming whatsoever, etc. I mean, to each his own but I really can't get past the soaking wood chips. Maybe I'm the one with the problem...

Peace Love and BBQ and Praise the Lard. Mike Mills is known as “The Legend”. If you ever get a chance to go to one of his classes or just sit down and chat with Mike you will be glad you did. There are a handful of people in BBQ that I would never pass up a opportunity to talk to and Mike is one of them. His books are a great reflection on him. Helps that his daughter works on these books with him.

Ok, not barbecue specific at all but a book I really like and recommend.
9781476725994-10-000_1.jpg

I don't hate him! And it is a good book. I stopped at a Dollar General in the middle of nowhere Mississippi on the way to a work conference and they had his "Everyday Barbecue" for $3. I bought em all and use it for small gifts to friends getting into BBQ or stocking stuffers.

His first book was excellent, but that "Everyday BBQ" book was a mess. I don't think it's worth the $3 you spent on it, and I know it's not worth the $15 I spent on it. haha

I thought of 2 more books that I utilize every so often when I'm looking for new ideas.

Melissa Cookston : Smoking in the Boys Room

And Diva Q's book : Diva Q's Barbecue

Both are fantastic and were great resources when I was opening my BBQ food trailer. There are so many great recipes in here and it helped a lot when I was working on menu options and especially sides. Melissa's mac&cheese recipe is simple but so delicious and people swarm my truck when I bring it.

I guess I'm a collector. I have over 30 books on BBQ. I usually just read the stories and look at the techniques. LOVE LOVE Franklin. Myron got me to use a sleeping bag with my brisket. Raichlen is ok (even though I have 3 of his) but sometimes I just don't want to work that hard and Kirk doesn't do it for me . Meathead has got some great science and helped me make some of the best pastrami. In this whole thread Jamie Purviance wasn't mentioned once that I saw. Yes it's big corporate Weber, but his techniques and recipes are pretty good, extremely well photographed and he seems like a good guy. His smoked turkey with big time gravy is a tradition. If I could only have one book to rule all others, it'd probably Weber's Way to Grill.

kEmU0jp.jpg

This photo was taken in 2011, I've added a few since then. There are so many different styles of cookbooks in general. Some have some history, some are mostly recipes, others teach you techniques. Amazon has the "Look Inside" feature so you can check out the forward and table of contents, plus a few teaser pages before you buy.

Barbecue is heavy on techniques so I tend to favor BBQ books that demonstrate techniques through recipes. If you only have a recipe, you are limited to one dish. If you understand technique, you can create many recipes.

Then, he started pontificating about salt and how it HAS to be applied before you season the meat, and took all of the salt out of his rubs.

I'm not a Meathead fan but I actually agree with him here. Salt is truly the only critical seasoning, so I want 100% control of how much is added and when. I also prefer to dry-brine so adding salt alone the day before works better for me.

The real thing would be a very short book. There's no magic, just experience.

In fact, we could start it here.

1. If smoking, thin blue smoke.

2. For short cooks cook by internal temperature.

3. For long cooks cook by feel (probe tender, bone pulls out, etc)

4. Resting is important, especially on brisket

5. Find rubs you like.

6. The BBQ you like is the best.

7. Cincinnati chili rules.

Hi Mik,

Thanks for taking to time to offer some great wisdom!

People on this site hate Myron because he portrays a character on TV, but his book "Smokin' with Myron Mixon" is a fantastic book for getting started. He discusses a ton of techniques, gives some rubs, sauces, and injections, and has simple to follow recipes for most of the popular BBQ meats.

Thank you. Surprised that the Myron Mixon book is not more popular here.

I went to Myron's class in October 2017. His TV persona is just that.... a persona. In his class, he was personable, funny, and answered every question asked by the students.

It was an intense weekend of smoke and BBQ and I learned tons.......and ate some killer BBQ prepared by us to Myron's way.

The man knows BBQ.

Back