Using a diffuser.....be carful

daninnewjersey

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Well, I started using a diffuser in my drum smokers and have been very happy with the results. One thing I have noticed, however, is a build up of the grease in the bottom of the drum. I guess it goes on the sides and not not directly into my coals. Anyway, while cooking a bunch of ribs yesterday I took the lid off to remove them and kept the lid off while the coals were still going. While coming back outside I had a friggin inferno coming out of my drum. I mean flames hot enough to destroy my thermometer, etc.

My point is I'm constantly learning all the time in barbecue and yesterday was no exception. Please be careful when using a diffuser. And NO....no pics are available...my heart was racing far too fast to think about pics...:mrgreen::mrgreen:

i have that problem with my UDS with or without a difuser. I kind of looked at it like this: With a lid on its a smoker......with a lid off its a burn barrel.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Good reminder. I generally take preventative maintenance steps with mine and scrape out the base once every five cooks or so. My diffuser gets some build up and I scrape that into the firepit, but the bottom of the drum does get some build up that could ignite. I take an old paint scraper, reach in and get what I can out. (I have an access door in the side of mine which makes this quite simple)

I always clean mine out after every cook. A hoe works great for me at getting the ash and other crap out. This disaster averted was right before I put the lid on to turn my drum "off". I let them cool down and then come in with the cleaning crew.

Normally this isn't an issue because the oxygen level is low enough to prevent a good grease fire from taking off, but leaving the lid open axed that and was just trying to set you up for some smores roasting.

A weed burner is a great way to prevent this, just fire it up and burn it out. All that grease goes up in flames. Also, you get to play with fire so, win..win...oh and do be careful.

Make sure your diffuser is not convex (like an inverted shallow bowl) where the drippings run to the edge and miss the coal basket. A slightly concaved diffuser (perforated or not) will contain the drippings.

Back