Mmmmmmeat!

Huh? What?

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
10 pounds of chuck roast, 13 pounds of top sirloin roast, 9 pounds of pork belly, and 15 pounds of pork shoulder, some of which is being turned into ground pork...

IMG_0320a-small_zpsdysb5ujf.jpg

And my last batch of Maple-Pepper cottage bacon...

IMG_0318a-small_zps70gk6v0b.jpg

I thought I was bad with 2 briskets, baby backs, tri-tip, 4 racks of short ribs and a pork butt.

Sounds like a party to me.:thumb:

What time do we show up?:becky:

That cottage bacon looks amazing. I've wanted to make some but haven't tried yet. Do you have a recipe you found that works well? I've found a bunch online.

That's a lot of meat you have there. Pretty cottage bacon too.
What exactly is cottage bacon?

I think, Huh? What?, can finally let us in on this "Cottage Bacon"!

That cottage bacon looks amazing. I've wanted to make some but haven't tried yet. Do you have a recipe you found that works well? I've found a bunch online.

That's a lot of meat you have there. Pretty cottage bacon too.
What exactly is cottage bacon?

I think, Huh? What?, can finally let us in on this "Cottage Bacon"!

Cottage bacon is bacon made from pork shoulder, instead of from pork belly. It cures and cooks more like ham than bacon.

This batch of Maple-Pepper was pork shoulder sliced into slabs about 1-1/2 to 2" thick, then dry rubbed with cure, and sealed in ziplocs. It then cured in the refrigerator for 12 days, flipping the bacon every day. When cured, the cure was gently wiped off, and the meat was rubbed with a 4 to 1 mix of maple sugar and black pepper. After that, it was smoked with maple wood at 200 until internal temp was 130. Then it was pulled.

This is still raw. It must be fried before cooking.

Weights given are a percentage of the weight of the meat being cured.

Maple-Pepper bacon cure

3% coarse kosher salt
3% pure maple sugar
2% coarse ground black pepper - more or less, depending on how peppery you want it
0.25% Cure #1

Nice haul. I loaded up last weekend after a trip to Sam's. My freezer is now stocked for a couple months.

That is a good haul of Meeeeet. Looks great, that'll be some fine eatin.

Back