2018 Texas Fall Bash Planning

Got this email back from Kathy's Smoking today. Posting it with her permission:

[FONT=&quot]Hey, brother. Been having a rough go of it healthwise this summer, but doing better lately. Going to visit cousins soon, when I'm back from the weekend (it's kind of a test) I'll go on site and post like a good sister. Have my passport, got the go ahead from the respirologist last Wednesday to drive to Texas assuming I get my strength back to a reasonable level by then. I'm sure I will, just have to behave. Last detail is to ensure travel/health insurance and Raffy and I are set. Had to change my itinerary to backwards from original plan, going more or less straight to Texas by way of Chicago to have an easier drive, must push myself less now. Probably limiting to 400 km a day with lots of rest, at least to start until I see what works. Intend to send Ronelle a PM soon to see if any Chicago brothers are free to meet up on my way, hopefully they know a good place to meet that doesn't take me into the city or too far off my route, have to drive as efficiently as I can.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Go ahead and cut and paste this into a post. Looking at leaving home Tuesday Oct 16, gives me about a week to drive with a short stop near Chicago on Thursday if that works for my brothers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kathy is smoking![/FONT]

Got this email back from Kathy's Smoking today. Posting it with her permission:

[FONT=&quot]Hey, brother. Been having a rough go of it healthwise this summer, but doing better lately. Going to visit cousins soon, when I'm back from the weekend (it's kind of a test) I'll go on site and post like a good sister. Have my passport, got the go ahead from the respirologist last Wednesday to drive to Texas assuming I get my strength back to a reasonable level by then. I'm sure I will, just have to behave. Last detail is to ensure travel/health insurance and Raffy and I are set. Had to change my itinerary to backwards from original plan, going more or less straight to Texas by way of Chicago to have an easier drive, must push myself less now. Probably limiting to 400 km a day with lots of rest, at least to start until I see what works. Intend to send Ronelle a PM soon to see if any Chicago brothers are free to meet up on my way, hopefully they know a good place to meet that doesn't take me into the city or too far off my route, have to drive as efficiently as I can.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Go ahead and cut and paste this into a post. Looking at leaving home Tuesday Oct 16, gives me about a week to drive with a short stop near Chicago on Thursday if that works for my brothers.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kathy is smoking![/FONT]

That gives her about a week and a half to drive down. But her route will probably take her SE of Chicago, so if she wanted to meet up, she'd have to take a detour. I'm sure several of the Chicago Brethren would be happy to meet up.

Since she's taking it slow, she may want to make a few stops along the way. Off the top of my head, assuming she's taking I-57, 17th Street BBQ in Murphysboro IL, Gus's Fried Chicken in Memphis, 407BBQ NW of Dallas in Argyle TX. If she's sticking around after the bash, I'm planning on hitting a few of the Austin area BBQ joints.

:mod: 42 Days till The Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash! :mod:

This is moving up the calendar quickly!!

Are you ready? :mrgreen:

How about all you Central Texas BBQ Brethren?
Any of you coming to the Bash? :mrgreen:

I know there are some hotels very close.
Yeah, I think it was Hotch that mentioned a couple up there. I'll probably stay up that way on Friday, but need to find others for the remainder of the trip. Fly in on Thursday, leave the following Tuesday I think.

Yeah, I think it was Hotch that mentioned a couple up there. I'll probably stay up that way on Friday, but need to find others for the remainder of the trip. Fly in on Thursday, leave the following Tuesday I think.

I think Hotch mentioned Residence Inn around Temple. If you are doing Lockhart BBQ, South Austin is probably a good option too.

Where do you fly in? That might help plan some better stops along the way.

I might try to hit Mueller's and Snow's depending on how things unfold myself so, Waco or somewhere along I-35 might be an option for me as I wander back home along a currently undefined route.

Hey Toast, how are you guys going to the bash? Just read on a rv forum that I20 is pretty rough from Shreveport until Texas. Any truth in that and is there a better way?

I drive I-20 to Shreveport occasionally. I don't recall it being particularly worse than most other similar roads (Interstates) in Texas and Oklahoma.

I-10 and I-30 are other options. I-10 would dump you a bit South of Austin. Little Rock, AR to Texarkana and Dallas via I-30 is a nice drive if Atlanta and Memphis are points of interest along the way, though my memories of Atlanta traffic are on par with Los Angeles and I won't be going back anytime soon if I have any say in the matter.

We are planning to hit atl. in between rush hour and lunch hopefully. Thanks for the info. Kinda have to stay on 20 since I already have reservations in Ms.

Back