Comp/Catering trailer

Hayduke

Reaction score
I am looking to get into pro competitions and I would like to have a trailer that I can run a food trailer/catering BBQ business out of.

My concerns are: should I get a trailer with a bed or get a small trailer with an RV. I hope to enter 5+ pro events a year.

Any recommendations?

I would like to see your set up.

If you want to do the food trailer/catering, I would start with local health department and see what they will allow.

Which is your priority........competitions or food trailer/catering?

And ynotfehc asked the real first question you need to answer.

We have a truck that we use for competitions. When we built we did everything to be up our local health department requirements. Our primary function is competitions but wanted have our food permit if the opportunity arose. We left space for cots for when we are competing but we definitely did not have them in there when we had our inspection.

We have a truck that we use for competitions. When we built we did everything to be up our local health department requirements. Our primary function is competitions but wanted have our food permit if the opportunity arose. We left space for cots for when we are competing but we definitely did not have them in there when we had our inspection.

The cot idea is brilliant.

In some states, the requirements for prepping in a trailer can be pretty steep, so people end up building or renting a commercial kitchen for prep. For example locally you need to have 5 sinks - wash, rinse, sanitize, hand wash, and a mop sink, and they have to have an air gap in the drain.

Generally the requirements for holding and selling food are easier marks to hit vs. doing a prep from raw in the trailer.

If you are competing, the RV/Trailer route may be more comfortable, but if your focus is on vending you will may be better off with a larger 5th wheel style trailer. A separate area with bunks and a bathroom is a nice luxury to have. (and no...that doesn't count as a sink for vending purposes)

Back