Granton Edge or Serrated Edge?

12" Granton for me. The only time I bring out a serrated edge is when splitting or spatchcocking chickens.

I was struggling with the same question on the granton. Do you guys feel the 14" is too big? Would a 12" be a enough for mostly brisket?

The size of your cutting board/cutting area usually dictates how large of a knife is too large. So 14" is not too big as long as you have enough room to pull a full stroke. If you're not using the whole blade, and still sawing your way though, then a 14" is a waste of steel.

That is exactly why I rarely use my 12" chef's knife. I have a board large enough for it, but it's damn heavy and takes up a lot of real estate on the counter. It's much easier for me to grab a small board & wield an 8" or 10" chef's for quick prep.

Granton over a serated edge for sure. You're not going to really sharpen a serated edge adequately. A smooth edge can be sharpened, and even re-profiled if you so desire. The grantons (dimples) give you less drag through the meat because of less surface area touching as the knife is pulled through.

Somewhat on topic, I have a 14" Granton edge and sometimes I think it is too big. Cue all the "she said" jokes but I have to clear out some real estate to wield that thing.

Same, I really wish I had done 11 or 12" instead.

Back