Baby back....chili???

Clasko2

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Trying something new for my school’s annual staff chili cook off. Taking a recipe and switching it from beef to pork. Hoping for a little shock and awe with some diced up baby backs in there.

These are the ribs that are going in..were almost too pretty to dice up.

Untitled by C Lasko, on Flickr

Kinda like where you're going with this. Look forward to the finished product

I would suggest that you put the ribs in near the end of the cook. Ribs can fall apart when they are cooked to long. I had a friend that went the path you are going and put the ribs in early and by the time we ate the chilly, the ribs were basically a meat mush in the chili.

Grimbo, you say that like it's a bad thing?

Clasko, I made too many ribs one time, and was starting to get tired of the leftovers. Took the time to separate the meat from the bones and cartilage, and vacuum sealed about a pound of rib meat. Next time I made chilli, I used ground chuck, chili grind ground beef (whatever that is besides a larger grind), chopped brisket, and the leftover pork rib meat. Yes, I like it meaty. It was delicious.

I pulled a rack a ribs to early a while back. Ended up dicing it up and putting into chili and it was great.

Can you really tell difference if they are just stewing with the other ingredients? Sometimes I use yellow tagged country style ribs in my chili.

The base has been made and will sit for a day in fridge. As was suggested, I’m going to add the cubed rib meat right before serving.

Untitled by C Lasko, on Flickr

I've done smoked chuck and smoked butt in my chili (frickin' phenomenal, by the way), but I don't think I could bear to separate meat from (rib) bone with anything but my teeth. :wink:

Back