Air Fryer

I have a fryer. Hate using it.. dealing with the oil is a pain in the ass. The family wants to get away from deep frying.

backstory, i put on 35 lbs in the last year. Sitting at a desk for 9 hours a day has taken its toll on me.. muscles are tight, joints are stiff. Going back to where i was 2 years ago. Clean eating and working out. Cutting fried foods, lowering carbs, back to proteins and veggies and grains. I can live on a roasted chicken or prime rib out of the offset, but the family needs variety..

Re

I have the Power Xl Air Fryer, started using at the new year. I love it, I've done naked wings and floured chicken as well. They both come out fantastic! I have found that when making fried chicken it's best to use a commercial chicken fry mix like Zatarains. I have no dry spots when using those. Regular flour tends to leave some white spots but still yields good results. I spray a little olive oil just so they don't stick. Naked wings are awesome too, Cook me for hot wings and you can barely tell the difference. Nice and crispy too. I cook them at 380 for 25-30 minutes flipping at the halfway point. I also did pork chops. Really nice And much healthier

Wife gave me one 2 years ago for Xmas, looked at the directions and it says to put food in cook for awhile flip and cook some more. I can already do that in my oven. Asked her to take it back.
Ed

I own a Nuwave Air Fryer. It is a nice machine to have, but not something you need. We got one for Christmas and have made French fries, wings, tater tots, fried chicken and hot dogs. It does work really well, and easy to clean.
Todd

I just returned my Gourmia 2500 air fryer. Bottom line, it was no better than my convection gas oven, or my Breville small convection oven. I will say that the industry did a great job at selling these. Everyone and there brother has them. Over rated in my book.

Check out your local Salvation Army and Goodwill. They are right next to all the George Foreman grills.

I just returned my Gourmia 2500 air fryer. Bottom line, it was no better than my convection gas oven, or my Breville small convection oven. I will say that the industry did a great job at selling these. Everyone and there brother has them. Over rated in my book.

thats pretty much what my mentality was.. I have a convection gas oven and loads of other ways to cook stuff. I think the hype has me curious.

backstory, i put on 35 lbs in the last year.

Going back to where i was 2 years ago.

I can live on a roasted chicken or prime rib out of the offset,

You, fine sir, are my hero!!! :clap:

If I could lose weight on that I would be in great shape.

Well, a friend lent me his fryer and we used it tonight. Breaded chicken cutlets... nope.. blan.. yuk.. better cooked in a pan with a little pam, or just baked. couple thighs were good, but nothing i cant do in my gas convection oven. Tried some breaded shrimp and they were dry and rubbery. Doesnt look like this is something I need or want considering i have a convection oven.. other thing is im cooking for 4, one of which is a 24 year old man with an appetite like a horse. Capacity on the one i have wont even come close.

My wife bought one a couple months ago. It is basically just a counter top convection oven. That said, to me its biggest advantage is speed. Most things are done in less time than in a regular convection oven, and there's basically no preheat time required. I can have tots or wings or chops over halfway done by the time my wall oven is preheated. I haven't seen anyone mention it, but it's a great potato baker. Rub those taters in a little oil, hit with some salt and they are done a half an hour or so.

I'm still not sure it's worth the counter space it takes, but for now we're using it fairly frequently.

• Thanks
Reactions: EdF
In my opinion, the air fryer is a redundant tool, at least in my house. I have a convection oven in my range as well as a Breville oven with convection. I bought an air fryer due to all the hype of how it was so much better. I did a chicken on the rotisserie and it was good, but no faster or better than a spatchcocked chicken in my convection oven. I also wanted to do fresh fries. I tried three ways found online and they were not impressive. Oven and Primo grill do much better job.

So, if your doing frozen fries, onion rings, chicken fingers from a bag, I guess for small cooks it is good. For me, it just didn't fit any need. I returned it last week.

Just my 2cents.... and worth every penny!

... or my Breville small convection oven...

Those Breville Smart Ovens are really nice! I absolutely love mine! I also bought it when I had a Kitchenaid Oven which was absolutely the best oven I ever used!

Why you ask? Who wants to heat up a 30" oven for English Muffins in Tucson, Arizona when it's going to be 115F outside in the afternoon? It made awesome steaks, brownies, etc. too!

The air fryers have their place in some kitchens. Personally, I hate working with the amount of grease and clean up a real fryer has. For a family event, sure but for just myself, no way. Shallow fry maybe for veggies and things but, fried chicken? No, not going to happen.

A good air fryer is a whole lot easier to clean up and use. No grease splatters on the stovetop or counters too! In the summertime, it doesn't heat up the kitchen like a traditional fryer does.

My sister went to an air fryer because the kids really like French Fries and Chicken Fingers/Nuggets and are picky eaters so her other options are pretty limited. It is hard to argue with what works and it works well for her.

For me, battered fish is where I see the most benefit in my kitchen as I don't do French Fries. Falafel and other things are in the planning stages for future meals.

I have an oiless Turk fryer and another air fryer a Vietnamese lady gave us.... I like them... just so many on the market..... which one do you buy is the challenge.....

In my opinion, the air fryer is a redundant tool, at least in my house. I have a convection oven in my range as well as a Breville oven with convection. I bought an air fryer due to all the hype of how it was so much better. I did a chicken on the rotisserie and it was good, but no faster or better than a spatchcocked chicken in my convection oven. I also wanted to do fresh fries. I tried three ways found online and they were not impressive. Oven and Primo grill do much better job.

So, if your doing frozen fries, onion rings, chicken fingers from a bag, I guess for small cooks it is good. For me, it just didn't fit any need. I returned it last week.

Just my 2cents.... and worth every penny!

i think thats exactly where i stand now.. thanks for everyones input. :clap: