Changes in product

Don, you go ahead and use those ribs. I'm looking elsewhere. Used them 3 times and they just don't cook that same as the ribs Sams used to carry. Fatty and there cut uneven. Hopefully they will change back.

Let me know when you find something else. I'll make it worth your time.

Don, you go ahead and use those ribs. I'm looking elsewhere. Used them 3 times and they just don't cook that same as the ribs Sams used to carry. Fatty and there cut uneven. Hopefully they will change back.

Let me know when you find something else, I'll make it worth your time.

Id just like to find a package of chicken thighs that Didn't have the skin from half the chicken neatly tucked under the thigh...:mad:

Whats the going rate for chicken skin per lb.?
I like when it has more skin... I hate having to try and strech it around the meat... As for price, last purchase I did was $.99/pound...

Well, if all the variables remain consistent, i:e, cooker temp, apprx meat weight...ect, just wondering why the meats are taking longer to cook. Could it be things such as fat content/or lack there of for example?
Diet may have a bunch to do with it too...

Checked out a new meat place in the area--they can't get briskets but am trying a new chicken brand they carry this weekend--bell and evans--should be similar to the Smart chicken I'm hoping. In fact a guy by the name of Jaime may stop and see you in KC this weekend--he is a meat guy of sorts at this new market
If I recall Bell & Evans is pretty good stuff...

I feel your pain Rod, I have ordered Chicken for contest week from HyVee TWICE....and TWICE it didn't arrive. Maybe the third times a charm??

WTF??

What's even better is when it does arrive and you get it out and it's one day from its use or freeze by date, or the thighs are so small they look like wings.:mad2: I have literally gone to ten different stores before, and had others go to ten other stores trying to find the best, freshest chicken in central Iowa for a contest. I am pretty crazy about it though.:becky:

I made 3 trips to my chicken store last night before finally getting what I trimmed

After work - picked up 35 leg quarters and was going to try trim them for thighs
After mowing lawn, I started and after trimming 4 I realized that the thighs looked like chicken nuggets after removing the backbone and leg
8:00 pm - called store and had meat guy pack up 30 thighs (or I thought)
8:40 pm - opened bag and realized he gave me more leg quarters
8:31 pm - called store and talked to meat guy
8:58 pm - returned leg quarters and picked up 30 thighs

The error in getting the leg quarters instead of thighs on the second trip was just a communication error on both of our parts. So no blame on the store, actually I was very happy with the service the meat guy gave me by happily digging through the inventory to get me liked sliced, fully skin pieces.

Moral to the story - don't plan on using a new cut of meat for competition, try it when you have plenty of time. And, if the meat guy is kind enough to package a phone order, double check the bag before leaving the counter.

WTF??

What's even better is when it does arrive and you get it out and it's one day from its use or freeze by date, or the thighs are so small they look like wings.:mad2: I have literally gone to ten different stores before, and had others go to ten other stores trying to find the best, freshest chicken in central Iowa for a contest. I am pretty crazy about it though.:becky:

I think I just figured out why all you guys kick our @$$ at every comp. I just buy whatever Sam's has in stock

I have always used Sams baby backs. this year they have a green label on them. They tell me just the label has changed and its the same ribs. I'm not so sure about that, they just don't seem to have the same firmness when trimming them up.

Just so you know, they are IBP with a new label. I made them pull the box from the back to prove it to me.

Just so you know, they are IBP with a new label. I made them pull the box from the back to prove it to me.

I was going to say the same thing. Perhaps the problems with it are seasonal? April, and First part of May, I had a difficult time finding good butts--too blocky and small. The past couple of weeks it has been easier.

WTF??

I think I just figured out why all you guys kick our @$$ at every comp. I just buy whatever Sam's has in stock
To be honest, I've been buying our local mega-marts (Jewel) brand and have been in the top 10 for the last 7 comps...

Well, if all the variables remain consistent, i:e, cooker temp, apprx meat weight...ect, just wondering why the meats are taking longer to cook. Could it be things such as fat content/or lack there of for example?

Muscle use generates more connective tissue. The more connective tissue a piece of meat has the longer it takes for the heat of the cooker to convert it into gelatin.

So the older an animal is and the more walking around it does means more connective tissue intertwined in the muscle fibers means longer cooking times.

Hey, you asked

WTF??

Funny you should mention that, I just spent an hour going to three stores to get my chicken for this weekend:redface::becky: nad I still don't like what I got:doh:

Yea, it says IBP on the green package too. When I first saw the green lables, it was laying next to one that had the old lable on it and they looked completly different. Both IBP but I'm guessing from different plants.

Smart Chicken was good this week.

I trimmed 44 thighs last night and only tossed one.

I actually changed providers by choice this week, went with whole foods you know organic/ green and everything. I was very happy with thighs they trimed and boned for me 16 of them and I would say 12 are almost exactly the same. ribs need some work and it was more expensive. But I am saving the enviorment. Do I get extra points for that?

We will have to try Smart Chicken. Just checked the smart chicken website and it's not available here in Cincinnati. But is up in Columbus where my partner lives. What makes the Smart Chicken so much better? How much per pound is it?

Smokesman said:
We will have to try Smart Chicken. Just checked the smart chicken website and it's not available here in Cincinnati. But is up in Columbus where my partner lives. What makes the Smart Chicken so much better? How much per pound is it?
It's airchilled, never frozen and antibiotic free. I can get for $1.99 lb.

Last year they did a chitty job trimming and bone was splintered or large joint.

Back