View Single Post
Old 01-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike
Default Maiden Voyage of The Weber GA with Observations.

Got the rig set up:

Both grates washed with soap and water before firing up. Ready to go or so I think... Have the Maverick ET-732 set up to measure grill temp:

Sacrificial food source is burgers and hot links:

I started with the book recommended 16 coals for a 1 hour cook and applied them when ready. Temp running about 440*F before burgers on:

Put on 4 thin burger patties. Not much sizzle going on although they did cook to just right temp wise. No grill marks but done. I don't have pic. Next on were hot links. You can see here that the 16 recommended coals only covered 3/5th of the cook surface.:

Finished product:

It conclusion:

1. I ruined some decent food by only using soap and water on the coal and cooking grates before cooking on it. At present there are approx. 40 KB coals burning this rig off at every bit of of 700*F.

2. My Weber WSM required no burn off and it was my mistake to think that all Webers are that way.

3. Can't wait to try this little rig again.

Just my .02 on the Weber GA 1st try. There are many experienced folks here with the GA. I would appreciate any and all input from the Brethren.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->