New Braunfels Resto - Stripping inside of grill

Wow..that is awesome so far. Sort of makes me want to try it! errr....wife would kill me.

Loved the lean as well..

I got a Black Diamond for free a couple of weeks ago it is in so-so shape and am going refurbish it and repaint it etc. It will be my first offset smoker. The legs are shot though rusted pretty bad and need to be replaced does anyone have any ideas of what I can use to replace them.I don't weld and don't know anyone that does as of yet.Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

chiming in a lil late but here goes. i have the black diamond which you speak of. but it in the mid-late nineties. anyway, it has been moved with me to three different states(Texas, n.m and florida). still only using bolts to hold the firebox on. no rope or any chemical bonding. leak is minimal at best. like what was proposed earlier, take the time to properly tighten the bolts with a good lock nut and i feel that you will be fine.
matter of fact, the only mods i have done to mine was to make a charcoal basket for it. while you are refurbing, don't forget to make a plate to protect the bottom of the fire box from the heat of the fire. it came with a preformed steel plate that rested on the bottom of the inside of the firebox and works wonders.
i did move the thermometer also. and i changed the grates out to one long sheet of expanded metal cut to fit snugly in the smoking chamber. i guess after all this i ought to take a pic or two. haha

well, i'm a little behind schedule, but I just finished painting the smoker. I unintentionally painted the firebox with a semi gloss finish when I wanted to do flat. I'm trying to decide if I want to sand it down and repaint with flat black, or just leave it and start smoking.

Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone knew why this hole is here. I just noticed it today, and went back through my old pics to see that it had been there all along:

(dead center of picture, to the right of the lid)
DSC04502.jpg

It looks like an intentionally drilled hole, but I can't imagine what it's there for.

Back