• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

NC BBQ society contest

Budwiser

Found some matches.
Reaction score
This is my first year competing and I have entered 2 KCBS contests so far this year and garish is allowed in the turn in boxes. In August I will be competing in a NCBBQ Society contest that does not allow garnish. I have a plan for the chicken and and Pork butt, however I cant figure out what to do with the rib box. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Brian

Just stack them in the box without garnish in the same manner as you would in a KCBS contest. Just fill the box from side to side.

Like Billy said - just load up the box so that they don't shift around too much.
I've judged this contest and it is pretty fun for the teams and the judges (as long as it doesn't rain too much!). I was asked to judge again this year, but I've got a conflict.
The only draw-back is if Jim Early is doing the cook's meeting, as he can get a bit long winded!
Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Thanks Tom and Billy.... I will fill it as much as possible....Also I will have fun!!! I cant over do the fun though because I head out for Sturgis on Sunday. That is a long drive!!!!

I've judged this contest

One question.

Since you've judged this, what flavor profile do they prefer?

I wanted to attend their judging and cooking classes, but they have loooong since filled up.

No. Carolina here too.

Friday 6/10/16, I just took possession of a brand new A1 Competition Smoker from Custom Pits in Georgia.

Looking on getting into competitions in the future.

Attachments

• 20160610_111027.jpg
    20160610_111027.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Since this is more of a "local" contest there is more latitude for cook teams for flavor profiles for pork. Meaning that a team can get away with a wee bit of vinegar flavor, but not much. MOST of the judges for the NCBS are also KCBS judges so keep that in mind when choosing a flavor profile.

Since this is more of a "local" contest there is more latitude for cook teams for flavor profiles for pork. Meaning that a team can get away with a wee bit of vinegar flavor, but not much. MOST of the judges for the NCBS are also KCBS judges so keep that in mind when choosing a flavor profile.

My wife is not big on vinegar based sauces, me, don't matter.

I like the sweet yet hot profile myself.

BEWARE of sweet and hot on pork!!!

Sauce should "enhance" the flavor of the meat.

I was referring to pork at home, not competition.

The reason I ask about flavor profiles is because 2 years ago, I was urged to attend a NCBBQ Society Judging class, get certified, and judge a few competitions.

That way I'd know what flavor they were looking for.

Like I said, I know Eastern No Carolina folks like vinegar based sauces, while people from my area (Piedmont) tend towards the ketchup/vinegar based sauces.

I've read a bunch of books on the subject.

I've listened to what people have told me here.

I want to go to a judging school, but they are filled up through next year, so that takes that out of the equasion. I don't know if KCBS offers a class here in NC or not.

So I have to rely on what I can gleen here.

I want to enter competitions, and need to buy the items on the checklist yet.

I also know it wouldn't help for me to go to Apex NC and cook Piedmont style BBQ when they expect Eastern style.

Or it wouldn't help for me to go the competition in Maggie Valley and cook Eastern style when they expect something else.

See what I mean?

So please don't think I'm arguing, I'm looking for information. A little help.

If you intend to compete in KCBS then I strongly suggest that you take the KCBS CBJ class. If you intend to compete in NCBS competitions then I suggest that you go ahead and jump in and do it! The difference is HUGE!!! KCBS is very structured and the flavor profiles are pretty consistent throughout the USA, while NCBS isn't. Pick what organizational competition you wish to compete in and focus on that for cooking classes and judge training. There are other sanctioning organizations in North Carolina besides KCBS and the North Carolina Barbecue Society that may hold appeal for you as well - North Carolina Pork Council, Carolina Barbecue League, Southern Barbecue Network and the Memphis Barbecue Network (actually the MBN doesn't currently hold a contest in NC but has in the past) all sanction contests in NC. Each organization has differing methods of cooking (some allowing LP gas), vastly differing judging criteria, and differing meats to turn in. Once you decide on what organization you want to compete in then learn all that you can about them and jump in!

Back