Battle of the BBQ Brethren, Sayville, NY - Oct 24-26, 2008

Congrats again on taking the grilling title, Frank! I was more than happy to hand it off to a fellow brother and you all are great folks. Really liked the grass green weber too! Now go take care of those blazing nutts!!!

Clint you're a stand up guy thank you.
It was a pleasure to have the chance to hang out and talk with you throughout the weekend. I can't take all the credit and nor do I want to for the Grilling GC. I have a team of friends that gave it all throughout the weekend. Bob S. is a hell of a cook. Mrs Bob S. keeps us in check and gets our presentation boxes squared away. Michele P. has an amazing "award winning" chicken. Last but not least Nancy G. She made our killer dessert. Together we accomplished GC. I have to sign off now and go powder my Blazin' Nuttz.

Here are the grilling results. Anybody else get bad scores from judge 1 on iron choice and dessert that had george duran's group? I guess I can't complain since we took 7th overall but it's annoying that we got 3's, 4's & 5's from judge 1 for both of these categories while everyone else gave 7's & 8's and the occasional 9 which basically screwed our overall.

405016846_Y39EB-L.jpg

405016676_nq2jm-L.jpg

405017206_29NBE-L.jpg

405016981_pB3Jb-L.jpg

405017090_wuKRw-L.jpg

405016564_txhSf-L.jpg

Last edited:
Something to note... and something I found out AFTER the contest... is that while the judges were using the 2-9 and the 180 scale... they were not using Appearance / Taste / Tenderness to score the entries...

All of the judges were informed the following:

Creativity took the place of Appearance, and Orginality the place of Tenderness.

Taste, Tenderness and texture was incorporated into the taste

Originality was the use of the "secret ingredient" blended with the entry....
Creativitiy was the presentation of the food either family style or individual plates and the appeal of the food visually.

Hope this explains it for you guys.

This was developed for the Jr. World Championships in Lake Placid July 4th weekend. More to come on that.

All of the judges were informed the following:

If that format is used in the future, I'd advise that the TEAMS be informed that different scoring is being used.

Especially the fact that the use of the secret ingredient is counting for twice what their presentation/ layout of their site is.

Brenden, your absolutely right..

I'm pretty sure i detailed out the judging criteria in this thread.. i'll start to re-read it..(arghhhhhh).

If it wasn't it in the rules that were sent out, it was an oversight. But i know i typed it a a bunch of times somewhere. This could have been in the meetings we had and never got translated to the teams. If I screwed that up, I apologize..

We're still learning and working to tighten things up. I met with Eric yesterday and we have a load of lessons learned written down and things that can be improved and fixed next year.

Hey Sled - Care to know where Big Barry kept that rubber chicken before the awards?

Great seeing everyone. Congrats to SIDE and Blazin Butts!

We had it hanging in our car port. Although immediately before the awards is a different story.... :lol:

Can everyone who was there for the Brendan Jesus moment shoot me a PM at some point? John has a special gift for you all...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back