• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Let's Talk Dogs

I like all dogs, Ambassador, crappy cheap ones, Hebrew, Nathans, any and all condiments. Don't care, I'll eat em! I tried the Slawsa on my dogs and it was good, but gives me heart burn. Foot longs at the State Fair with raw onions and mustard are pretty farkin good.

I'm not picky at all, and enjoy all sorts of toppings. But lately I have been favoring a jumbo all beef Nathans and plain fresh white bun. Nothing else! Never thought there would be a day I don't put at least mustard on a dog.

Prefer lightly grilled or griddled, but have been known to wrap in a wet paper towel and microwave when I'm really in a rush.

I've met very few hot dogs I don't like - I just like some better than others, but probably dislike none.

campdude and I have cooked literally thousands of hotdogs over the years at an annual event. We've learned that moisture is key, and when you're grilling or smoking bazillions of them, they profit from a little time in simmering water first, and water spritzes while holding in the cambro. Some people only want them burnt, other people don't want any char, and there's everything in between.

My favorite might be the Kogi dog - I believe they use Hebrew National and there's a bunch of stuff on it like cheese, kimchi, sriracha, etc. Very, very farking good and I've eaten literally hundreds of them. Not sure if this recipe is accurate, but it should give a pretty good idea of what's going on:

https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/kogi-dogs

Oh - and howdy Mike! Hope all is well over there!

Nathan's is all I buy. I like them Chicago style but I also like to smoke them indirect and let them cool overnight. I eat them like a beef stick snack.

Ummm hot dogs!

I like most brands except for the really cheap ones. I like mine grilled with a bit of char, love home made chili dogs with a good steamed bun. Plain I them on a soft white bun with ketchup. Really could care less what folks put on em...

Bright Leaf from Carolina Packers. My Granddaughter just calls them "red hotdogs".
Grilled till lightly charred.
Dressed several different ways depending on mood: mustard, chili, slaw; kraut and stone ground mustard; a slice of American cheese, Dukes mayo and ketchup.
Need a few left over to slice for a pot of beanie weenies.

Until the last few years steamed was my go to with sweet relish, mustard and a strip of Velveeta under the dog on white bun. Still like it but the wife likes them grilled with a little char on them. At one time I did not care for that. Now I love them. No condiments, just a fresh hot off the grill dog dropped into a bun.

Ketchup...catsup...I cant imagine eating a cheeseburger or fried fish with out it. But a hotdog? Ever since I was a child I thought it was a gross pairing that just makes my guts churn. But to suggest that a person is not an adult because he favors a particular condiment that you don't favor is a bit narrow.

Until the last few years steamed was my go to with sweet relish, mustard and a strip of Velveeta under the dog on white bun. Still like it but the wife likes them grilled with a little char on them. At one time I did not care for that. Now I love them. No condiments, just a fresh hot off the grill dog dropped into a bun.

Ketchup...catsup...I cant imagine eating a cheeseburger or fried fish with out it. But a hotdog? Ever since I was a child I thought it was a gross pairing that just makes my guts churn. But to suggest that a person is not an adult because he favors a particular condiment that you don't favor is a bit narrow.
Just goes to show how different we all are. I couldn't imagine putting ketchup on a fried catfish sandwich. Homemade tartar sauce with SP. Nothing else touching my fish but I'm OK with ketchup on a dog. Everyone just eat what you like.

Ketchup on fried fish?!?! Never seen that in all my life!!

I have no certain preference. If they are grilled or fire roasted, I dont want them completely burned. Grew up with them boiled usually. If dad cooled them on the grill, he sauced them. Sometimes they get pan fried if it is raining or we are in a big hurry. I also sometimes split them, particularly if I want to double the meat on a bun.

I like Nathan's and Hebrew National the best and a few months ago had housemade dogs that were very good.

You didnt say toppings but other people are saying it, so I like them chicago style the most or with mustard slaw and chili but I will eat them with any toppings. I dont like the way they taste with Ketchup.

I prefer Ball Park dogs grilled with a little char. Chili and cheese is hard to beat but I also like to slice 2 lengthwise, put on bread with cheddar and bacon and cook like a grilled cheese sammich. Thin sliced grilled dogs are also excellent in mac & cheese.

We've got a local store that makes and sells their own hot dogs and they are really good (not cheap though). If you have a local butcher or sausage maker it's worth trying their products.

BTW, if you are an adult and you still put ketchup on your dog...your not a real adult.

I realize I'm in the minority but,
You keep your mustard, I'll keep my Ketchup.
for the 1 dog I eat every other year.
what about the brethren spirit?
(all in good fun)

Old Texan here so grilled dog with HOMEMADE chili (never, ever canned stuff) with mustard, cheese and chopped red onion.

Had my first official Chicago dog this summer with Bill-Chicago at Portillo’s and it was mighty tasty.

Attachments

• 5D89850F-A377-4E1A-BD73-B2CF0CD4A27E.jpg
    5D89850F-A377-4E1A-BD73-B2CF0CD4A27E.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 142
  • 1E81A8B9-71C0-4581-96D8-84A476EBEA40.jpg
    1E81A8B9-71C0-4581-96D8-84A476EBEA40.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 145
Back