My Yoder Smokers YS1500 has arrived! (Very picture heavy)

That is a nice cooker. Looks like it cooks great. I am liking them more and more every day.

If you like the smoke on the biscuits, try doing some chocolate chip cookies. :grin:

Very Handsome...

Off topic..But you hinted at it earlier...I cant wait for round 2...with BigJoe...If he ever gets un-crated...One busy farker you are....

Very Handsome...

Off topic..But you hinted at it earlier...I cant wait for round 2...with BigJoe...If he ever gets un-crated...One busy farker you are....
It is uncrated, setup and broke in. The cooks planed for now are with the Yoder and that's what I'll stick to on this thread. But I did do steak tonight on both the YS1500 and BigJoe, I wanted to compare. They were both great and although a little different, each has strong point that differed on each pit. I have pics coming soon.

It is uncrated, setup and broke in. The cooks planed for now are with the Yoder and that's what I'll stick to on this thread. But I did do steak tonight on both the YS1500 and BigJoe, I wanted to compare. They were both great and although a little different, each has strong point that differed on each pit. I have pics coming soon.

Understand...Just saying...65 responses and 1400+ looks in one day...:clap:
You hinted...we noticed...this one will be tough to beat...

Understand...Just saying...65 responses and 1400+ looks in one day...:clap:
You hinted...we noticed...this one will be tough to beat...
That was just intended as a comment about my whole cooker purge, and its purpose was to get those two cookers. It happened to work out to get them both the same day, so I made that comment. The title of the thread is for the Yoder YS1500. When I have information gathered and cooks to share about the BigJoe, I will in a different thread. :thumb: I'm just still trying to get over how big these two cookers really are.

Well, I kinda dropped the ball and only took a couple of pics of the steaks. We ate later than we anticipated, so I just focused on the food and snapped a few basic pics.

Here are the steaks after they have been cooked on the YS1500 on the left side with the HMS damper open, controller set at 495*. The one with the char was directly over the opening, and the others were just outside of the opening (the kids don’t like any char).

The steaks were awesome! Nice flavor, tender, and super, super juicy.

Since the steak pics are a little weak, I decided to add to the pictures of the cooker, one you are likely not to see, but important if you are going to be hauling this around to comps/catering gigs, etc. The compcart construction and the massive tie downs under the cooker.

Tomorrow, ribs. Sunday, brisket, pork and more! Pics to follow.

I had a YS640 and they appear to have made several improvements. I like the new firepit design, as long as the bottom is slightly angled so that any grease drippings don't flow over into it. The armor plate over the rtd seems like a good idea, I have always been worried about smashing mine with the food grate on my pellet smokers. The plate deflector looks neat.

I finally got to do a traditional BBQ cook with this today. I cooked two racks of spare ribs trimmed to St. Louis Style preparation. One rack was rubbed with Kosher salt and cracked black pepper, and the other is rubbed with 3Eyz.

Here are the ribs in the cooker.

Getting close

I opened the HMS plate at the end of the cook to allow a more direct head to set the sauce and finish the racks.

Looking Good!

Also, a few have asked how pans would fit in this cooker. I took pictures of the cooker as full of pans as I could. I have butcher paper and/or foil on the racks so the pans didn’t get greasy.

Big cook should be posted before Labor Day.

Those ribs look great!

The shots with the pans do a great job of showing the size of that baby!

Looking forward to the big cook!

Is the counter weight on the door really needed?
The cooker is 3/16" steel, same as a Jambo. And this door is bigger than a Jambo. It doesn't NEED it, but if you want to avoid a shoulder replacement down the road, it's probably good to have.

The weight does it's job. And with the addition of the badge I had put on, the door nearly opens itself. Once you get it open, all you have to do is make sure the door doesn't open too fast and slam the weight. It's easiest to open of any other pit I've owned or seen, even my old Genesis. It is weighted beautifully.

I've heard pellet smokers do not put enough smoke flavor on the meat. So how do you like the flavor,or is it to new to tell?

I've heard pellet smokers do not put enough smoke flavor on the meat. So how do you like the flavor,or is it to new to tell?

I have experience with some different brands of pellet grills, but by no means all of them. My YS640 did have a stronger smoke flavor than the others I have experience with, and that is by design. So far the YS1500 seems to have even a little bit stronger smoke flavor. No it is not overpowering, slap you in the face or bitter smoke at all, but it seems stronger to my wife and I versus other pellet grills we have had food from. I'm very happy with the smoke output from it. But since smoke flavor is so subjective from person to person and how much wood the cook used in a non-pellet pit, it's hard to compare. But smoke flavor is definitely present.

Back