• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Yet another UDS build!! But is mine any different?

On the grates I didn't totally come up the idea. I seen a video where a guy used U bolds and welded U shaped inserts on his grates similar to what I did with angle. seemed like a good concept be I kind of liked my way better. Call me bias.

Some more grates shots....

Attachments

• 20130822_162157.jpg
    20130822_162157.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 509
  • 20130822_162304.jpg
    20130822_162304.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 508
Got my tires on and mocked up my BGE vent. Also welded my foot on the front. Only have one small concern.... with the wheels under she sits a bit high. Not a huge problem but just an observation.

Attachments

• 20130822_181751.jpg
    20130822_181751.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 506
  • 20130822_182222.jpg
    20130822_182222.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 505
  • 20130822_201000.jpg
    20130822_201000.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 505
I hope to fab up some kind of table on the side. Got a few ideas but nothing solid yet. Also ordered some SS spring handles for the lid. If all goes well I hope to have it finished other than the top this weekend. I need some ideas as far as thermometers go. Need them to be accurate but also a good finishing touch.

Very slick, I like the outside the box thinking. Are you going to need a stepladder to get into that thing? :tongue:

awesome design..Love that NC ingenuity :clap:

I've been noodling over the idea of putting together a small cook where I feed as many vets and their families visiting the Durham VA or trying to do a cook for the Ronald McDonald house for families with sick loved ones... I think your 85 gal drum would hold enough food to make quite a few people happy... :biggrin1:

PM me if interested in joining us

@ Dave M......... yeah its pretty tall. If I put a dome lid on it the DHS would think I had a mini SCUD missile sitting on my patio! lol
I am alittle over 6' tall and I can still put a grate all the way down on my lowest setting without any problem. The coal basket will be a challenge. I will prolly have to make me some hooks of some sort.

That's bad arse!

Really dig the design and craftsmanship. Awesome job!! :clap::clap::clap:

I saw a charcoal basket design earlier on youtube that had a chain attached to it..seemed real easy to access it and remove with it

I believe I seen the same one. I have a similar idea but my basket handle will be solid and I will use a chain to retrieve the basket. Either that or make two T handle hooks.

Also....... I may have a line on another 85 gal drum. The guy I got mine from had another. It had a few battle scars but never the less it was an 85. If anyone is in the area an may want it let me know and I will see if he still has it.

well, if it's real tall, I recommend you only cook with old t-shirts. all your cook shirts are gonna get a grease line across the belly that never comes out :D

I've been entertaining the idea of a UDS for quite some time..I'd love to take you up on the offer but I dont have any of the awesome toys that I see in your pics... You went for metal toys and I went for a small wood working shop....

very tempting though.....

I am not sure I have a T-shirt that doesn't have a stain of some sort. Oh.... no wait I think I have one. My wife keeps it in a Ziploc bag...:laugh:

Does a Weber 26" lid come close to fitting? I'd sure try that approach if you've got the welding skills (and you do..).

Back