avoid overcooking thin parts of brisket

wa5ngp

Found some matches.
Reaction score
since the brisket has varying thicknesses what is the best way to make sure the thick part is cooked and the thin is not overcooked? I've got a kamado so I could keep temp as low as 225 deg. Is that the strategy, cook as low and long as possible? Seems like thin part would still tend to dry out.

don

It will dry out and turn stringy it its thin and the other part of the brisket is thick. Just part of the fun of going into the store and always looking for a good brisket even if you don't need it. Chances are your eventually gonna need it. Better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it.
Here is one I picked up 3 days ago. Just happened to be strolling through HEB and just happened to walk by the brisket end cap :doh: and there she was. A really good eatin brisket. Nothing like I would cook for a comp, but will make come damn fine sliced and pulled.
42AC526F-76FE-48E1-B86D-7D5482D1D261-3415-000002BE3AA1F2E6.jpg

934C1199-C4E4-44B5-AC61-ED967B7BE387-3415-000002BE4464D7B6.jpg

And these 2 weeks ago at my local BBQ joints cooler!
A9F19910-8472-48F6-9B13-7C91060D7CBF-3415-000002BE4CE921C6.jpg

This one 2 days later
These a week before that.
1A02FD42-C907-460B-BF36-40599BE16815-3415-000002BEB5D65948.jpg

And then! And then! And then!
You see where this is going. Since we do a lot of comps I'm always on the lookout.

Yeah, I get a little twitchy if I got less than 4 high quality self wet aged briskest in the deep freeze. It brings home the $$$ though

Don't cook below 275 on the grate
Don't buy a brisket if the flat is not uniform in thickness and under 1" at the thinnest spot
DO cook to probe tender in the thickest part of the flat, if the flat is probe tender in the thickest part you good ta go everywhere.
Relax and have fun wit it after all it's just heat, meat & a little time I call it BBQ.

If there is a thin edge, I trim it off, use it for something else. I try to buy packers with a flat that is 1" thick.

Nothing like I would cook for a comp, but will make come damn fine sliced and pulled.

Justin, there ain't nothing wrong with that brisket. Cook it as an alternate at your next comp. Bet she is "in the money".

Yeah, I used to live in Texas where big briskets were for sale EVERY WHERE. Here you have to stalk them. lol

wow, you guys are SERIOUS.

tks folks good advice, bottom line, no magic.

what would the "something else" be? Just bbq it separately or braised beef tips not bbq at all. use it for stew?

don

If I can't find a consistent brisket, I just cut off the small end and throw it on an hour later than the rest. Or grind it up for hamburger later.

wow, you guys are SERIOUS.

tks folks good advice, bottom line, no magic.

what would the "something else" be? Just bbq it separately or braised beef tips not bbq at all. use it for stew?

don

BBQ brisket chili... enough said! LOL!

Visit the Pit Barrel Cooker website,click on videos and watch the brisket video. I have a PBC and it is spot on perfect. There is no reason the same prep and cooking process won't yield you the same "best I've ever cooked" results. I have two brothers with BGE's that use the PBC videos for a pattern (I call it inspiration).

Back