• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Bacon is finished -Pr0n

Smoking Westy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
The weekend before last we butchered hogs and I saved several nice chunks of belly. My buddy caught wind that I was curing a fresh batch of bacon so he hit up the butcher shop and bought some belly for him. Last night we smoked it on my WSM over cherry. After the smoke we wrapped it and stuck it back in the fridge to cool off. After work today we sliced and vacuum sealed the whole works up.

My batch was seasoned with brown sugar and fresh cracked pepper, on my buddies we did brown sugar and then 1/2 with habenaro dust and 1/2 with brown sugar and Carribean pepper dust (both from my garden this summer).

Here are some shots from the last couple nights...

DSC_0507.jpg

DSC_0506.jpg

Cherry gave these slabs some awesome color

DSC_0509.jpg

DSC_0511.jpg

DSC_0513.jpg

Yummy!

DSC_0514.jpg

Shot of the sealer

DSC_0515.jpg

You messed it all up!! After you vacuum seal it you were supposed to overnight it to my house! šŸ˜ Great job, looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man o man that looks great. Nice job

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

AWESOME! I wants to try making some bacon now and I want your meat slicer!

awesome!!

it looks like it was hot smoked?

I have some curing now, trying to decide whether to hot or cold smoke it. The last batch I hot smoked, it came out good. Thought I would cold smoke this batch to see if I like it better but I am not sure.

Yo! Man, I felt like Santa Claus walking in the house with that huge sack of sliced meat! My brother in laws want in on the next bacon makin party. They'll trade a couple cases of homebrew or they're willing to break through the cheddar curtain for some Cow...just sayin.

What did you use for the cure and how long? Also, what temp did you smoke it at and how long?

Thanks!

I can't believe that I haven't figured out that I could fit more belly on the smoker if I used a rib rack. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks guys! That new slicer made short work of processing things once the cure and smoke was over.

buttburner - these were indeed hot smoked, this was my 3rd attempt and best so far.

Spotted Cow for homemade bacon? We have a deal!

Ron - here is the recipe for the basic dry cure that I use:

1 pound/450 grams of pickling salt
8 ounces/225 grams of granulated sugar
2.4 ounces/68 grams of pink salt (Prague Powder #1)

Basically mix everything together, you want to make sure the ingredients are well distributed, I store mine in a mason jar in a dark corner of my cabinet. For these slabs of belly I use 1 tablespoon of cure per pound of meat. Once the cure is on I add my other seasonings/spices and place in a gallon zip lock bag. These were cured for 7 days (flipping each day) and on the evening of the 7th day we rinsed them off and stuck them back in the fridge overnight to rest and form the pellicle.

We had my WSM rolling between 190 and 200 degrees for a majority of the smoke, at the end I bumped it up to 225 to reach my target of 150 degrees internal temp on the belly. If it wasn't a week night I would have just let it rock at 200 until we got there. I think they were on the smoker close to 4 hours.

Hope that helps...if not give me a holler.

code3 - these bellies were outstanding, I almost wish I would have saved a little more than I did, the rest went to breakfast sausage and brats.

Looks fantastic! :clap2:

Also more interested in hearing more about yer process.

Back