• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
How much wood

How much wood should I use in my UDS for a Boston Butt? This will be my first time smoking a Butt in my UDS. I am making two 7 pounders for a few people this weekend. Any advise would be great. :becky:

Those Weber knock-offs sold at Wal-Mart are a good source for a lid and a grate, and IIRC, they're around $30 when they're NOT on sale! CHEAP!

-r

If your place sells em for 30 bux you gotta find a new place, I'm getting standard weber grates for 15 @ HD and the premium with the opening sides for 18. Regular price Walmart's cheapo grates are 16 for a crapper grate (thinner metal...etc)

Posted from my fancy android fone!!

woohoo :becky:
Started on my drum today by getting the tan liner out. And I'm happy to report that Easy-Off does work removing it. I let it soak for about 2 hours and was able to remove about 75%. After about 2 hours of sanding by hand with 150 grit sandpaper the drum is now looking as bare as a baby's rear end inside. Sprayed it down with some Pam and will work on it some more tomorrow. Want to get this done by the 11th since that's my b-day and that would be cool to smoke on it.

Have a good one.

If your place sells em for 30 bux you gotta find a new place, I'm getting standard weber grates for 15 @ HD and the premium with the opening sides for 18. Regular price Walmart's cheapo grates are 16 for a crapper grate (thinner metal...etc)

yes but for $30 you get the grates and a lid. that's hard to beat. if you just need grates it is much better as you have said to go for the weber grates that you can buy individually

I'm thinking he's talking about getting the whole "UniFlam*" grill that's a Weber copy, so you get the cooking and charcoal grates, plus the lid and the bottom, which can be flipped and also used for a lid if you want.

Lucky you, Weber swing open grates @HD Canada $34.99 and need to be ordered.

The Weber web site is working again and the stainless swing open grates are $29.99 (part #3070784). I just got mine a few weeks ago and they are super!

hyqNM.jpg

8NZv0.jpg

q0KgJ.jpg

I made two of these one for my son in law and one for mee:-D.

Had a good week...scored a stainless drum and when dumping some metal in the metal dumpster at work I notice a whole old school weber grill. The bottom was beyond repair but the lid is salvagable and it had the grill grate and charcoal grate still inside!! Time for UDS #2!!

I'm thinking he's talking about getting the whole "UniFlam*" grill that's a Weber copy, so you get the cooking and charcoal grates, plus the lid and the bottom, which can be flipped and also used for a lid if you want.

Yeah, that's the grill I'm talking about.

At my Home Depot, Weber grates are something like $15 for standard and $18 for hinged.

-Rodney

Holes in lid

So I have been working on my first UDS and saw lots of lids with 8 holes. I did the same thing drilling them to 1" and useing 3/4 " plugs. I was thinking I could remove the ones I need to get the right draw. I just read that some of the guys are just drilling 1/2 " holes. So did I mess up?

Most of us cook with the exhaust "wide open" but with eight one-inch holes you might lose too much heat. Just close half of them and smoke on. You'll adjust the temperature with the intakes near the bottom. For me that usually means three 3/4" holes open to start, 1.5 holes open for 250 degrees, and 1.25 holes open for 225 degrees. Adjust to suit your drum. I use magnets to cover the intake holes. If you use the magnets with hooks to cover your exhaust (Harbor Freight part #98502), just stick them on the side of the drum while cooking to hang your spatula, fork, etc.

Here are the square inch area of the holes:
1 ea. 2" bung = 3.14
4 ea. 7/8" = 2.40 (weber wheel vent)
4 ea. 1/2 = 1.57

I have 2 weber wheel vents on my weber top UDS and I have them both all the way open all the time = 4.8 SQ inches. I control the air at the bottom for temp.

I finally wrapped up my first UDS build yesterday and threw on a couple of fattys and bacon Spams for the inaugural cook.
DSCF4678-e1318296141980.jpg

The old Brinkman never gets used any more so I pulled the internal rack holders and handles to install on the UDS.
image6-e1318296591701.jpg

image2-e1318296469227.jpg

The lid cutout was trimmed and a lip hammered around it to serve as the ash catcher beneath the fire basket.
image0-1-e1318296919722.jpg

The only welding I did on this one is the pipe in the lid. Everything else was done without a cutting torch or welder.

I did have trouble getting it up to temp but I think it is lack of a sufficient exhaust vent. The motorcycle exhaust pipe is not very big and I had to keep all three caps off and the ball valve wide open to even get close. 200 is the best I ever got out of the UDS so the plan is to drill another hole in the lid and see what that does. Could always put another couple of chrome exhaust pipes on it. My kids think it looks cool. :-D

I finally wrapped up my first UDS build yesterday and threw on a couple of fattys and bacon Spams for the inaugural cook.

The old Brinkman never gets used any more so I pulled the internal rack holders and handles to install on the UDS.

The lid cutout was trimmed and a lip hammered around it to serve as the ash catcher beneath the fire basket.

The only welding I did on this one is the pipe in the lid. Everything else was done without a cutting torch or welder.

I did have trouble getting it up to temp but I think it is lack of a sufficient exhaust vent. The motorcycle exhaust pipe is not very big and I had to keep all three caps off and the ball valve wide open to even get close. 200 is the best I ever got out of the UDS so the plan is to drill another hole in the lid and see what that does. Could always put another couple of chrome exhaust pipes on it. My kids think it looks cool. :-D

It's gonna take a min of 2" of exhaust to make your drum heat adjustable.
icon10.gif

Thank you for the info. I will go to HF today and see if I can fine the magnets.

Back