Advice needed, sponsor suggests name change...what to do???

early mornin' smokin'

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
So our Sponsor currently provides all the meat for our team. It's a local butcher who I am very good friends with. We currently have no written agreement.

In recent talks he said he would sponsor us for as many local contests as we would like to do, currently 3-4. He would like to help cook with the team, and promote his business.

We currently cook on weber 26.75's and a pro-q, pretty much backyard equipment. We currently do not have the thousands of dollars required to buy the smoker we would like, ultimately a fec-100 or fec-150. However we are open to suggestions as to which cooker to go with for both a commercial and comp setting.

He has asked us to consider changing our team name, to both associate his business with competition barbecue, and further promote his business.

I would be willing to change the teams name if he is willing to purchase a smoker for his business, that we could use for the few weekends. He has expressed interest in me working for him to both teach my ways and to do his onsite catered barbecues, so it could be lucrative for the both of us.

Am I out of line for wanting him to make an investment into the team? We have been doing better and better in competitions, but don't know how long the rest of my team will truly be by my side.

You are going from sponsorship to partnership and there is a big difference. Partnerships work if all parties involved know their roles and limits, clearly defining who does what and who owns what will make a big difference as to your success.Be clear on what you expect and always have an exit plan in place. Good luck !

If he is willing to pay for everything, then I guess I would consider cooking under his suggested team name. If he is simply supplying meats, he doesn't really have the right to ask you to change your team name -- he deserves a banner promoting his company at your cook site. Gas, seasonings, knives, shelter, entry fees, etc. all can easily equate to about $1,000 per competition depending upon how far you travel.

I would recommend you have a sit down with him and go through all the options and costs. Perhaps one of your options would be to cook under his team name when he is sponsoring all of the costs, and continue to use your name (with a banner promoting his meat company) when you want to cook on your own. The key is to keep the lines of communication open, and to make sure everyone's expectations are very clear. Otherwise you may lose your sponsor, and a friend.

My personal motto has always been to separate friends and business... because I usually end up losing one of the two when I try mixing them.

Kev

Last edited:
Sure sounds like you'll be working for him.
That's what it's sounding like to me too. Change the name to have his business associated, wants to start cooking with the team... how long before it's his team?
If he want's to put up all the cash for the contents, and a new cooker, that's one thing, but it you are footing the bill for everything except the meat, then a banner is as far as I would go.

That's the whole thing. I will be working for him. Have been looking into doing catering, but don't want the hassle of setting up a business, and due to circumstances beyond my control I don't exactly have all the money that's required for a start up. I can promote as much as I want, and any business I bring in, I'd be cooking the partys, so I'd be making money.

I say no!! You can have him sponser the Q not partnership with you. Remember even if he does buy a nice big FEC150 or so and lets you use it, it still becomes his. You are going from saving $200-$300 bucks (at most) to teaching some one who can one day walk off with the equipment you wanted.
Unless of course you reach a true parntership agreement for a catering business, now that is something I would look into.
Maybe his banner should be bigger next comp, I don't remember seeing them. Unless of course they are under the tarps from all the rain that is always happening!!

My 2 cents...having a BBQ team to promote his business and to do his catering must be worth something to him or he wouldn't be entertaining the idea. The only way to find out what it's worth to him is to figure out what it's worth to you and ask him for whatever "that" is. If you get what you want, do it. If not, don't. If you get what you want for a year, 2 years, 5 years, etc. and then it goes away, you're still better off than where you would have been with no sponsor.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the team name. Most guys out there competing will still know who the cooks are.:thumb:

...but that's just my 2 cents.

Is it possible to have an amalgamation?

"Bob's Butcher presents BBQ Maniacs", something along those lines?

Eric

We'd change our name in a heartbeat if one of our sponsors buy us a Jambo! Lol! Fly his banner proudly for sponsoring your team with meats...that is still a very good promotion. As far as the partnership...whole different situation...tough call! Good luck with your decision!

Eric, I was thinking something along those lines. But honestly, it's just a team name. Lots of thinking has gone into this. If he's willing to buy a commercial, comp ready smoker. Come along with us, cook with us, share his knowledge of butchering. We're getting a lot more than just the meats from him. Changing his name to promote his business, along with me being able to promote his business so that I can cook more BBQ is a win win. More time on the pit = more consistent results. I'm already scouting out people and businesses who want a BBQ. If I find it and bring it to him, I'm sure on top of getting paid my daily rate to show up and cook, ill get a percentage of the total.

All that I can offer is that you should ask yourself one extremely important question: "Why am I competing?"

An honest answer to that question should make it apparent to you whether or not any sponsorship/partnership/name change should be undertaken based on how that will better fulfill your purpose.

To answer your question tim, I compete because I love it. I love seeing all the brethren, just being there is exciting. Gives me a chance to cook cuts of meat that I honestly can't justify cooking year round. Having a Butcher, and a local business who may be willing to help with the purchase of equipment and store said equipment comes in real handy. We have never been off the Island as far as contests go. If we placed in the Sam's club series we'd consider traveling.

In all seriousness...who would get what if the partnership dissolves? You will need clear cut roles as to who does what on the team and a definite agreement among all team members that you are a "team"...and that each of your responsibilities are just as vital to your overall success. If he is footing the bill for the meat and smoker...he may want to call the shots...just be clear on your individual roles and be sure you can live with them. Good luck!

Would hate to see this turn to 'Who has the toys makes the rules' situation.
Another viewpoint - don't like the impression of training your own replacement (Pitmaster).

Last edited:
Sound like a good deal, if you agree to work for him. if he buys the smoker, and then you do the name change what do you then own or have that is your in this agreement? Its sound like a good deal, but remember friends only stay friends when they do not become partners. As soon as he owns it all your are an employee. you have to figure out the fine line in friendships, some can be partners and work fine together. and with some they have a fallin out and then dislike each other for a long while. I would not begin what to say to you about this. Its a tough call and I do not evny you one bit.

To me it sounds like he wants YOU to join HIS team and he wants to use your experience and expertise for him to learn from.

If all he wants is for you to be on his team for 3-4 events and would still give you a discount on meat for any other events you want to do. I would so why not? Then you could still go with your team and name in any other events you may want to do.

Yeah I would take the meat for the 3-4 contests and leave it at that. Sounds like once he has all the stuff smoker, name, trophies and the no how of. Cooking great BBQ you will be back on your WSM or whatever u use and looking for sponsors again

Sure sounds like you'll be working for him.

Stick to your guns and keep your name as is. As previously mentioned, you are going from a hobby to a job. Next he will want to be head cook and “get all up in your grill”. Say no! Once you start winning a few categories and GC’s your value will go way up. Have fun. Just my $0.02.

Back