10 pound brisket from Sam's with Texas-Style BBQ Rub

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
My 1st. brisket. Using the Texas-Style BBQ Rub from Steven Raichlen's book. Tried to keep it simple. Salt, chilli powder, sugar, black pepper and cumin. Rubbed it, wrapped it in plastic, and in the fridge for 24 hrs. Just put it on the UDS at 9 p.m. I bought a 16" terra cotta pot base, covered it in foil (to keep it clean) and using it for a diffuser, placed it on my 2nd grate. Also added a 2nd vent on the weber lid. Temp usually goes up and down and needed contant attention. Not this time. Seems to be holding 235-240 degrees really well. I have to 2 ball valves 75% open and both top vent full open. Best smoke I have ever had since we built it. Only 15 hours to go. :-D

IMG_3531.jpg

10 pound brisket from Sam's with Texas-Style BBQ Rub

IMG_3533.jpg

Both lid vents wide open.

UDS - Check
Raichlen Rub - Check
Terra Cotta Diffuser - Check
Enthusiasm - Check

This will be epic! Can't wait for more pics!

I love the paint job on your UDS, and the towel rack puts it over the top. Awesome.

Cant go wrong, the drum gods will smile upon you.:thumb:

Great shelf, I have the same one, just need to get motivated and mount it.:doh:

How does the internal temperature change over time at 240*? My only experience with brisket was a friend doing one in a barrel offset smoker.

Another thing to try...

Tom Dean

So what is "Texas Style" Rub? We tend to use quite different rubs depending on where you go. Here is mine:

½ Cup Lemon Pepper
¼ Cup Cayenne
¼ Cup Curry Powder
¼ Cup Chili Powder
1/8 Cup Hickory Salt
1/8 Cup Celery Seed
¼ Cup Paprika
1/8 Cup Red Pepper
¼ Cup Onion Salt
¼ Cup Garlic Powder
½ Cup Lawry Season Salt
½ Cup Brown Sugar

Add dried peppers to taste. Whatever is on hand.

Blend to a fine powder.

Let us know how it turns out. Haven't heard of Cumin being used, but will look into it. A lot of pepper, salt and sugar used here though. I'm not crazy about all the sugar and salt.

The flat seemed to be finished at 4 a.m. at 205 degrees, 7 hours. Did the hot knife and butter test. It is wrapped & resting. Seperating the point and flat is not as easy as it looks. It's hot and slick from the juices. I cubed the point added some rub and they are back in the smoker for a while. They look really good.
Don't know about the aluminum pan method.

IMG_3535.jpg

So what is "Texas Style" Rub? We tend to use quite different rubs depending on where you go. Here is mine:

½ Cup Lemon Pepper
¼ Cup Cayenne
¼ Cup Curry Powder
¼ Cup Chili Powder
1/8 Cup Hickory Salt
1/8 Cup Celery Seed
¼ Cup Paprika
1/8 Cup Red Pepper
¼ Cup Onion Salt
¼ Cup Garlic Powder
½ Cup Lawry Season Salt
½ Cup Brown Sugar

Add dried peppers to taste. Whatever is on hand.

Blend to a fine powder.

Let us know how it turns out. Haven't heard of Cumin being used, but will look into it. A lot of pepper, salt and sugar used here though. I'm not crazy about all the sugar and salt.
They called it a simple rub. I haveto admit I don't know what is real Texas. I'll have to follow your lead on that. I did mix up some kind of rub based on your list above. I used what I had in the house. Put that on the burnt ends. It didn't have very much cunin or sugar in it and I used sea salt. Iit did have a lot of fresh ground pepper. I didn't know if I should cover the burnt ends with foil to keep cooking?

How does the internal temperature change over time at 240*? My only experience with brisket was a friend doing one in a barrel offset smoker.

Another thing to try...

Tom Dean

I was just trying to keep it in the 250 range. It got up to 265 for a while. That may be why it is finished early. I thought it would take a lot longer.

Here is the finished brisket.
Everything is tender. just thought it would have taken longer to cook.

IMG_3544.jpg

IMG_3543.jpg

IMG_3539.jpg

That looks great. :thumb: How did it taste?

Cook times probably depend on where you're monitoring the temp. If it is done, don't worry about it and enjoy.

And, I thought Texas style rub is just kosher salt and coarse pepper? :razz: Texas is a big state.

That looks great. :thumb: How did it taste?
I didn't taste much of the flat yet. Saving it for later. Had a few chunks of the burnt ends. Those are real good.

Cook times probably depend on where you're monitoring the temp. If it is done, don't worry about it and enjoy.
I had the probe in the thickest part of the flat.
I knew I would be putting the point back in the smoker for some burnt ends.

And, I thought Texas style rub is just kosher salt and coarse pepper? :razz: Texas is a big state.
That's just the name of rub in his book.
Thanks for looking.

Great looking briskie. I'm doing one today and hope it turns out as good as this looks!

Once you get over 225 degrees, your meat is going to cook faster. Also, an oven thermometer on your grate may have helped determine what the true cooking temp is.

When I was competing on my UDS's I actually built a 3rd rack for my diffuser, closer to where the fire box was and thats, where my claypot base went. This seemed to help with the temperatures.

And regardless of when it got done, that brisket looks alot better than the first one I ever tried and I'm from Texas!

Enjoy!

They called it a simple rub. I haveto admit I don't know what is real Texas. I'll have to follow your lead on that. I did mix up some kind of rub based on your list above. I used what I had in the house. Put that on the burnt ends. It didn't have very much cunin or sugar in it and I used sea salt. Iit did have a lot of fresh ground pepper. I didn't know if I should cover the burnt ends with foil to keep cooking?

Pappy a lot of people down here think I still don't after 18 years. I was born and raised in Illinois. A brisket to me was corned beef when I was growing up! My wife, the native Texan, informed me that cumin is the base for Curry Power FYI and they use a lot of it down here.

looks good to me. I like to trim the point from the flat a bit before I cook briskets that way when the flat is done all I have to do is take a knife and cut the rest of the point off, it's quick and simple. plus you can get some of your rub on the underside of the point. burnt ends look good too!:thumb:

Back