Competition Level Smokers with Detailed Info

Very cool! :cool: The one thing that jumped out at me was the cost and weight of the WSM's as compared to all the other smokers...lightweight, portable, affordable, and produce killer bbq...talk about the most bang for your buck! :becky:

for $1600 you can dedicate a smoker for each meat and still fit them in a small trailer and yet weigh a fraction of one the others.

I still wonder how Harry Soo can do it with two. I'm on my third with a kettle.

WSM's are the Jambos of that price point. However in MN when it blows outside they suck.

Kind of one of the reasons I went with a Backwoods. They don't call this the Windy City for nothing. My UDS's are still great cookers, just not as friendly during those colder months. Personal preference on what you enjoy cooking on and are consistent with is what matters.

If you don't mind, can I ask you why you went with the Backwoods over a gravity feed (i.e.- Stumps, rebel, DW, Superior, Etc.). I have a Backwoods Chubby but am thinking about switching over to a gravity feed. Awesome job on your list by the way, very helpful.

The Chubby has a tiny firebox that needs refueling more that it's larger siblings. We have a Chubby and a Fat Boy, and we get longer burns from the Fat Boy. (maybe 75 to 100% longer) The Chubby is insulated and uses fuel effectively - there just isn't much of it in there to start with.

If the cooker lets you can sleep through the night without tending the fire (which a bigger Backwoods will), you aren't pining away for a gravity feed.

Thanks for the reply CBQ. I've actually decided to move on up to the new G2 Party model so hopefully i'll be able to get those 8-10 hour burn times. With the chubby, I was getting about 4.5 - 5 hours or so which makes sense as i could really only get about five maybe six pounds of lump in the basket and a few wood chunks.

I just got in input from another manufacturer who like to have their information on this comparison list. This is exactly what I was hoping for...smaller manufacturers that many out there don't exist to come forward so new buyers know all there options when purchasing a new smoker. Brethren 'Zig' manufacturers quite in interesting concept smoker that I thought never existed. Thank you for bringing you design to the table Brian.

"Check out this. This is my own design that I use it in competition that it works great so I thought I'd market it. Its not for everyone but it does what its designed to do. Two controlable temps in one cooker." (Zig)

www.zigscookers.com

Here is the updated comparison list with Zig's smoker and the New Backwoods G2's

View attachment 74587

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: Zig
some of the backwoods specs are not correct on there.

regular chubby price was wrong
gator is 3" between the 5 racks

good list though

I just want to thank Dan for the work on his list and for purchasing his Backwoods Extended Party from me :eusa_clap

Did you think about adding the Ole Hickory CTO, I have one and love it. I know a few other people that use them in comps as well.

Some smokers you might want to add would be the Stump's offsets/backyarders & Guru Onyx. The Stumps 2x3 offset might be close to a Lang 36/48 & their backyarders would be also & in the same $$$ range. the Onyx might be in the same class as BWS Chubby/Party. Nice list though & I'm in the same boat now as to what I might be getting this year so to have info in one place is helpful.

I'm looking to get a mid-size gravity fed. Any consensus on which one is best?

Any used ones for sale out there?

I appreciate the suggestions. I just added the Ole Hickory CTO and Ultra Que but I am waiting on pricing. I also included the Onyx Oven. I did not include the Stumps offsets because there was not much information on them. If I hear about them, I will add that in here.

View attachment 74643

Last edited:
Back