Brisket temp on UDS?

R

Radical Rick

Well I have got my first brisket cooking right now on my UDS. My cooking temp is around 225 degrees at the grate. I put this thing on at 12:30 pm today. At what temp should I pull this thing? I was thinking 200 degrees but wanted to double check with you guys. Also, about what time should I expect this final temp to take place, give or take an hour? When I do pull and let it "rest" is this foiled, covered with a napkin or what? How long should it rest? :roll:

Sorry for all of the questions, but here in Alabama it's ribs and butts and some chicken when it comes to BBQ. This brisket will be my first! :oops:

Rick, you may want to foil the brisket when the internal temp hits about 165 to help speed up the cook time. Add just a little liquid such as broth, apple juice when you foil. It could be well into the night either way. Prolly around 12 hours give/or take. Start checking the tenderness around 190, then 195, then 200. The temp probe needs to slide into the flat part of the meat with very little resistance when it is done. I like to keep the meat double wrapped in foil and into a cooler stuffed with newspaper, towels, anything the fill the empty air space, for at least 2 hours and 4 hours plus is just fine. The brisket will stay very hot for several hours. I have a a 10 lb brisket done in 9 hours or 15 hours. Good luck bro.

It turn out great! I'll be taking it over to a friends pool party today. Thanks for all the help. This site has helped me so much. I really enjoy cooking on the UDS. Best part of the UDS is when people brag on my q and then I tell them that it was smoked on the cooker that "I" built! FUN!

Back