• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

how far do you travel to compete?

• Thread starter Midwest BBQ & Blues
  • Start date
M

Midwest BBQ & Blues

Greetings all, i'm trying to get an idea of how far teams travel for a contest. Your input is greatly appreciated.

I think that will depend on your location and budget.
If you are in KC...no need to travel, there are plenty of contests.
I'm in the St. Louis area, and all my comps will be within 2 hrs this year.

Last year we went on a trip down to Auburn Alabama to compete.

Anywhere from across town, to 19 hours or so. One year we figured out our average drive was 6.5 hours one way, because the contests we go to are spread over a seven-state range.

The last few years, we'll make one trip that's 28 hours one way. :thumb:

We try to stay within about 5 hours of home, but our first this year is 6 hours. Go figure :)
We try to stay within the 5 hour limit as well... but you know, an invite to either the AR, Jack, or Sam's Nationals would change all of that....:becky:

Closer the better, but anything within 6 hours is one I would consider cooking.

All of Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, really no need to leave Texas, there,a cook on every street corner, 10 months outa th yr

We like the 3 hour rule...although we have fractured that rule a time or two...and yes, the above noted exceptions would apply for us too!

No limit but it depends on it it's worth the trip.

Usually 2.5 to 3 hours for me. But this year I've already been on a 6 hour trip and a 5 hour trip.

4 to 4.5 hours is our boundary at present, but we cook right in the heart of the country, where contests aplenty abound. We'll definitely throw that limit out if the Sam's Club tournament allows as well. :grin:

Last edited:
We're usually within a 3 hour drive, but we got the invite to the Royal this year so we're gonna make the 9 hour drive.

The better I score, the farther I'll go...........When my scores slip I tend to pull back and lessen my costs of competing. Farthest to date: St. Lou to Talladega.

We're pretty lucky here in the Mid-Atlantic the last couple of years. Most of our comps are typically 1/2 hour to 2 1/2 hours away. But this year, we'll probably venture out to a couple that are about 4 hours away.

Up to 8 hours 1 way is not uncommon.
1,400 miles one way was my farthest.

Back