Pork Butt, Mexican

T&S BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I thought I would mix it up a little, so Tuesday I cooked a butt, it was 25 deg outside and windy, so I added the pop up with the sides to keep the wind down. My wife makes a mexican dish thats great and simple, but I thought switching from a pork roast in the crock pot to a smoked pork butt would be even better, I was right. When the butt was done Tues night we pulled it and put it away, then Wed evening we put the can of Rotel tomatoes, can of corn drained, 1/2 jar of Peperoncini with liquid and 1/2 package of Italian seasoning in a crock pot and turned on high for 3 hrs. After that we added 1/3 - 1/2 of the butt and cooked another hr. To put together, you take a 10" flour tortilla and spread a couple spoons of warmed refried beens on, then the meat mixture,then some mexican blend of cheese,roll up, put on a cookie sheet with parchment paper, add a little cheese on top and put in a 375 deg oven till cheese melts and tortilla browns.Take out and add what you want to the top and serve. Juicy, and bursting with flavor, thanks for looking.
IMG_0551.jpg

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0554.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

Looks plenty good to me. I like the smoke stack mod. Thats my next move on mine. Put in a convection plate last nite from Horizon. Used to smoke my Turkey. Seemed to help a lot. I will have to measure grate temps later without food to see how well it really works.

Food looks great, but I'm confused... Mexican food with Italian seasonings and pepperoncini? :crazy: am I missing something here?

I know its sounds weird, but it really works. I thought the same thing when my wife told me what she put in it. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Aren't those galvanized? I thought that was a no no? Nice Mexican butt by the way!

Yes, it's a 3" meyers hub, and a 3" emt conn. I would not put galvanized in the firebox, but if I get the heat that high at the stack to cause a problem, I've got more problems than that. After the first test burn, it is coated all the way up, so no metal is showing. It looks like the rest of the smoker inside.

Had to put my shirt in the washing machine fron excessive drooling! :grin:

That is a seriously nice and unique meal......

Fleetz

My favorite way to eat BBQ'd pork butt is Mexican style as well:

Soft White Flour Tortilla heated up directly over flame until very lightly scorched.

Pulled pork butt heated up and sauced a bit with Shack Attack.

Put that hot pork in the very warm tortilla then top with some mozerella cheese; (I'm not a fan of queso fresco since there is not enough cheesy flavor in it for me--besides mozerella is closely related to queso fresca just processed a few more minutes.)

Then I drizzle on some salsa verde (I buy La Costena brand in a little can, which I then pour into a small mason jar to refrigerate).

Wrap it up on one end and good to go :) (I use the smaller tortillas because I'm diabetic so I just wrap one end, i.e. just enough to keep it all in.)

Back