Ideas for single bone prime rib steak on the kettle

Churrasqueiro Bob

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm going to cook a single bone rib steak, 2.5" thick and 2.5 lbs. In my prior life, I cooked these indirectly on my Weber 3 burner gasser. I am looking for some ideas for the best methods to do this on my Weber Perfomer. I have lump and briquettes. I could use the two charcoal baskets and cook it like a steak in between them, build a fire on one side of the grill only, I could probably cook it standing up too, - I've never tried it that way.

Talk to me. Any input will be greatly appreciated. How do you guys do it? Thanks.

EVOO Salt and pepper. Indirect for about 5 minutes, then BANG sear at 500* or more one minute a side. rest and then devour...............Simple. Or the above method is good too.

It'll have to be cooked medium, it's the best I can compromise since I have to share it. :biggrin1: My wife prefers it more toward medium well, but I have been getting her to enjoy beef at medium. As long as it's pink, moist and warm inside, it should be fine. :biggrin1::biggrin1: I can't get her to try medium rare.

This steak is a solid 2.5" thick. I know I have to cook it indirect for a bit and then sear it. What do you guys think of using the two charcoal baskets and cook in between them for indirect, and then push them together to sear? And I'm guessing that it's lump all the way? Should I try to catch some of the drippings for au jus?

Last edited:
It'll have to be cooked medium, it's the best I can compromise since I have to share it. :biggrin1: My wife prefers it more toward medium well, but I have been getting her to enjoy beef at medium. As long as it's pink, moist and warm inside, it should be fine. :biggrin1::biggrin1: I can't get her to try medium rare.

This steak is a solid 2.5" thick. I know I have to cook it indirect for a bit and then sear it. What do you guys think of using the two charcoal baskets and cook in between them for indirect, and then push them together to sear? And I'm guessing that it's lump all the way? Should I try to catch some of the drippings for au jus?

Buy another for her.

Thanks for the input. I'm going to season with sea salt and some fresh crushed black pepper. I'll use Wicked Good lump to cook it. And she didn't seem to warm up to the hot dog idea. :biggrin1:

Back