• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Half Drunken Chicken and Sweet Potato Frito Pumking Pie! It's prOntastic!

fingerlickin'

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Well over in the throwdown section, a few wackadoodles decided it would be a good idea to call the next TD a Half Drunken Three Way Challenge. So now I gotta come up with something cooked with chicken, a vegetable and be half drunk or cook something half drunk or something like that. Without further ado this is what I came up with.

I spatchcocked a chicken, rubbed it with Plowboys Fin & Feather and smoked it over lump and mesquite on the egg.

IMG_3804.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3808.jpg

I tore the chicken apart and made a stock for the chili sauce/Pumking gravy.

IMG_3811.jpg

Then I gathered all the ingredients for phase 2.

IMG_3830.jpg

Once the stock finished, I par cooked the sweet potatoes in the chicken stock for a few minutes while I chopped up the rest of the veggies.

IMG_3833.jpg

Everyone diced up and waiting their turn.

IMG_3834.jpg

If you've never had Southern Tier Imperial Pumking it tastes a lot like pumpkin pie, pretty much exactly like pumpkin pie actually. I saw a cooking show last week where they made chili using pumpkin pie spice and I thought it sounded interesting, so this is my take on that.

Because I was going to make a pie out of this "chili" I decided to do the veggies and the sauce separately so I didn't end up with a mixture that was too wet.

I wanted to get a nice base for my flavors so I started out by making a roux with 1/4 cup of peanut oil and 1/4 cup of flour, the finished roux was a little darker than this when I was finished.

IMG_3840.jpg

After that I added about a cup of Pumking and 2 cups of the homemade chicken stock, 2 Tbs chili powder, a tsp of New Mexico Hot chili powder, some cumin, corriander, salt and fresh ground black pepper. This is what it looked like when it was done, I had around 3 cups total.

IMG_3843.jpg

I sauteed the veggies and mixed those and the chopped chicken together with all but 1/2 cup of the sauce mix.

IMG_3845.jpg

Somewhere in there I also had the kids help me mix up the crumb topping.

A bag of Frito's scoops and half the bag of cheddar, 3/4 of a stick of butter made it in there too.

IMG_3813.jpg

My helpers really liked the crumb topping...and I wonder why my kitchen floor is always a mess. :tsk:

IMG_3821.jpg

IMG_3824.jpg

All of that went into the fridge overnight since it was now 2am.

The next day I got on with phase 3.

IMG_3852.jpg

IMG_3859.jpg

IMG_3861.jpg

I fired up the egg to 350* and threw the pie on to bake.

IMG_3872.jpg

There you have it, Half Drunken Chicken and Sweet Potato Frito Pumking Pie. :thumb:

Served with sour cream, chives and a chili Pumking sauce reduction.

IMG_3894.jpg

:peace:

That looks amazing.. What a great idea.. I love Pumpking.. My favorite of all the seasonal beers. It sells out really fast down here in Georgia.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow Jason, you are a master chef for sure! Well done. :thumb:

Master chef...ha! Far from it Jeanie, I've got a lot of work to do to catch up with you. Thank you for the complement though!

Jason you just scored a hat trick That is beautiful I will be glad to take any left overs :hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

Thanks for reminding me there's no hockey George, it's killing me! Good news though, I do have leftovers if you want to stop by!

Well Phark me sideways handcuPhed against the wall!:shock:

:clap:

LMAO, trying not to picture that in my head. :laugh:

Back