• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Freezing Pork Shoulders?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am doing my first event this weekend, got licensed last summer but it was after all the events. I am getting NO help from the only other local BBQ vendor in the area. He seemed friendly before, now that I am a vendor he is lock jaw on everything.

We are rural so when purchasing meat its a drive to Sams, and a several hour drive to other options like Restaurant Depot etc.

Its easier to purchase too much meat rather than not enough and when buying pork shoulders by the case wondering how to handle the extra.

Do I cook it, pull it then freeze it, or can it be frozen in the Cryovac Package.

Which way will give the best end results?

I generally don't like pulled pork after it's been frozen. For me, it's better to freeze the whole raw butt, thaw, cook, then pull and serve.

The only reason to freeze cooked product is if you cannot use it all. When you thaw the cooked product you can mix it with fresh product so you don't loose quality.

I typically freeze them raw in cryovac. One time I over cooked for a Nascar Race and froze them whole doubed wrapped in foil. When I reheated them later it was hard to tell them from the fresh cooked ones

Just freeze them in the cryovac as purchased. Will last for months.

Freeze raw in cryovac is much better than cooking and freezing.

SafeServ probably says that because you reduce the like of the food. For example if you cooked pork and on the 3rd day froze it, then thawed and mixed with fresh pork the safe life of the pork would be 4 days. If my memory serves me right the content of something prepare is only as good as the oldest ingredient.

I think it is ok if you know the food will be eaten the same day but I agree it is a practice to try to avoid.

Freeze raw, that way you can buy meat for a number of events at one time. When you cook you can pull, get the temp down quickly by putting bags of meat (flattened, not a big clump) in a cooler filled with ice water and then put in freezer when temp is below 40 deg. then you can freeze it. Home refrigerator can not get the hot food cold enough to freeze safely. Once you pull the frozen meat out of the freezer, thaw in refrigerator and when thawed you can put in pans, add apple juice and bring up to serving temp. in smoker.

Back