Friday Night Judges Etiquette

El Pistolero

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
So I'm a newly minted CBJ, ready to judge my first competitions, and I'm wondering what I should or shouldn't be doing on Friday nights. I know there is no fraternization with teams on Saturday, by I'd like to take the opportunity on Friday evening to meet up with some brethren, maybe make some new friends, and in general learn as much as I can about the whole process.

So, is it proper for a judge to mingle with the teams on Friday night? Should I identify myself as a judge right up front, or keep that to myself? Can I quaff a few if it's offered, or should I bring along some brews to share?

Should I wear my kevlar vest?

Any insight offered will be greatly appreciated.

Absolutely, you can come out Friday night in fact it is encouraged. You can bring your own beer or not but you won't be thirsty for long. You can let teams know you are a judge but it really doesn't matter to me.

Absolutely, you can come out Friday night in fact it is encouraged. You can bring your own beer or not but you won't be thirsty for long. You can let teams know you are a judge but it really doesn't matter to me.

I agree. At least up here, we try to promote the judges to join us Friday buy hosting pot luck dinners & what not.

Friday your a BBQ friend. Saturday your a judge. :thumb:

You can fraternize after the judging on Saturday, just not before:thumb:

PLEASE come hang out with us teams...One of our biggest complaints about judges is that more don't come hang out with us cooks...

Makes ya'll seem all uppity and chit:heh:

I say come on out Friday or even Saturday after the judging is done..out here I have made many friends that are judges..I think there needs to be more interaction between teams and judges.

Yep Friday is great time to visit
Just a thought
if the team site you are entering is someone you don't know very well
a "permission to come aboard" makes for a better reception

Helping teams with set up on Friday really makes you some friends

I have some very good friends that are CBJ's. I say bring it all you want on Friday. Saturday after the judging is always great to visit with those that judged and talk. Stop by and say hello.

Come on by anytime Friday. I'll tell you when I'm going to bed and I'll go in my trailer if I have to work on something you shouldn't see. Don't be put off, I'll come back out. Saturday after judging is great too!

Agreed with all that was said above....one of my favorite judges even brings his own smoked cheeses and templeton!!!!

I would say Friday evenings, after dinner, is a good time to float around and introduce yourself to folks. As a cook, that is when I usually have time to walk around a see folks. Most teams will have their meats preped and will be relaxing, waiting to get started. Look to see who's going to be there from the Brethren so you have an idea of who you might run into. You'll see roll call's here. Saturday, after turn ins, many teams are packing up, so social time is usually limited to a few minutes to take a break and chat (that's been my experience when visiting teams I know after judging). But, everyone is still social and tired - and possibly wondering what that judge was thinking giving me a 6 on my brisket.

we had an instance.... last year in cape,h and w came by fri eve,judges,wanted us to give them go containers sat after turn ins,so they could try good bbq......begging??not satisfied with what they get.......we blew them off couldnt beleive they asked for go containers,o i forgot they broght there own containers,so it would be easier on us..........:crazy:

You can fraternize after the judging on Saturday, just not before:thumb:

PLEASE come hang out with us teams...One of our biggest complaints about judges is that more don't come hang out with us cooks...

Makes ya'll seem all uppity and chit:heh:

Yep - most teams want to find out just what the judges are looking for in the turn-in box. And once you get to know a few of the cooks it brings a whole new outlook to the awards show :clap2:.

Agreed with all that was said above....one of my favorite judges even brings his own smoked cheeses and templeton!!!!

:icon_blush: :icon_blush: :icon_blush:

But then again, I know a lot of cooks who might be hungry or thirsty :becky:.

we had an instance.... last year in cape,h and w came by fri eve,judges,wanted us to give them go containers sat after turn ins,so they could try good bbq......begging??not satisfied with what they get.......we blew them off couldnt beleive they asked for go containers,o i forgot they broght there own containers,so it would be easier on us..........:crazy:

Maybe they read on here the various cooks complaining about coolers in the judges tent and many of those cooks on here that do the complaining say they will give them food after turn ins are over. Just saying. keith

There's absolutely nothing wrong with judges visiting teams Friday night. But if you are found totally wasted with that team, you'll probably get ousted out Saturday. Just go have a decent good time. Don't be asking for judges to fill any type of box. If they offer you a rib, great. Enjoy. Only on Friday!

;0) Most of the teams have a home for the left overs
My trash company customers smile real big
when I walk in with a freezer bag and a sauce jar on Monday

I've always welcomed judges who come by on Friday night. I've had judges ask me for a little to take home from time to time. I don't mind that and I'll give them a sandwich bag or quart bag with some. Depends on how they ask.

As others have said, it is great to mingle on Friday night.
It is great advice to not spend all the time with just one team, don't get sloshed,
and offer to help.

Organizers and reps are observing as they go around doing their own jobs.

What I really love to see in this thread is the welcoming attitude of a lot of the teams
for having cbj's visit on Fri nights or Sat after judging.

Back